Class aquarium

m2002

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2018
Huntington Beach, CA
I think you can skip the water testing or any other attempts to get her to change the water. If she was going to do it, she would've done it by now.

Just volunteer to do it yourself, and maybe organize some other students to help. When I was a kid I would've loved to do something like this. A chance to play with water? Yes please!

It takes less than 5 minutes to do a wc. Get one of those large siphons that drains quickly. It is a fun process I bet some of your classmates would be happy to help.

Other than water changes, you can also lower the number of fish as well as add in plants like lucky bamboo, golden pothos, and floaters to quickly lower ammonia.

If you're savvy with social media, you can post some requests on Facebook and/or craigslist. I bet lots of people will be willing to donate equipment to you. Just be careful though -- always meet those people via your parents or teacher or some trusted adult. NEVER do any donation stuff on your own there's some crazy people out there.

LimaShovelnoseSaltwater92

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
My teacher has a aquarium and she doesn’t know as much about fish / aquarium as I do. So she said I cloud set up a tank. So we set up a 20 gallon aquarium with a top fin silenstream 10 filter (I’m getting an aqueon quiet filter 20 for her too) and an aqueon 10 watt (i think) preset heater and what I believe is a pure ****ty air pump but I don’t think that will matter (will it?) no lights and no contact with sun what so ever. Why I’m asking you here today is because the water quality is just awful. The water is Grey and there was so much ammonia we’ve gone nose blind to the smell, I have told her to do a water change but clearly she’s not doing it. I know there’s no algae because there’s no light contact basically at all. Her or I are going to get new filters because believe me their dirty. I am planning for Monday to give her my old tank filter, maybe a few supplies like polyester fibers as a filter media type thing, and on my free period on Monday I’m no doubtably going to get a water change on that tank because it stank, also I’m going to get her water tested on Monday as well as mine at my tank at my house b/c it’s getting a little bit stinky as well. Any thing to help/suggest with the crappy water quality / stench on both tanks would be great (except for the water change because I know that needs to be done) Thanks MFK community

An aquaclear 20 or 30 would be great. It has a sponge, activated carbon, and biomax. If you could find it you can get some ammonia remover media (https://www.chewy.com/aquaclear-amm...MI0-_jvcTP3gIVk8VkCh2vDQxtEAQYDCABEgI4rvD_BwE) You can even control how much flow comes out of the filter too. Do a water change as you said, and you can use some seachem prime to remove the chlorine from the water you add during the water change, and some Amguard to help get rid of that ammonia. I know all of these things can be pretty expensive, but these are just some options you could do.

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Any updates on the situation?
Edit: Something kinda relevant to the topic is that at the elementary school my mom works at, the science lab has a 55 gallon. In the tank is an array of community fish but also containing 2-3 pink gourami and a small school of clown loaches so I educated the science teacher that they will one day outgrow the tank and offered to take them when that day comes. She agreed also I now come in monthly to assist with tank maintenance.

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Any updates on the situation?
Edit: Something kinda relevant to the topic is that at the elementary school my mom works at, the science lab has a 55 gallon. In the tank is an array of community fish but also containing 2-3 pink gourami and a small school of clown loaches so I educated the science teacher that they will one day outgrow the tank and offered to take them when that day comes. She agreed also I now come in monthly to assist with tank maintenance.
Good job!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store