Cleaning Aqua Plants !!!

Q&Q

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
HI, In couple of My fish tanks i found sick fish. many Aqua plants are in these tanks & what is the best way to clean my plants before using in other tanks. So sickness will not spread across other tanks.

PLs advise...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
HI, In couple of My fish tanks i found sick fish. many Aqua plants are in these tanks & what is the best way to clean my plants before using in other tanks. So sickness will not spread across other tanks.

PLs advise...
Could dip in a salt with methylene blue dip. The other option I’d suggest is potassium permanganate dip.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I leave my plants in when treating sick fish. My thoughts are that will also free the plants from any parasites, fungus, ect that I’m treating the fish for.
Of course some treatments hurt or even kill plants, but I’d rather risk dead plants over dead fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Fish sickness usually doesn't have a direct correlation to plants.
It usually has to do with either bacterial, or parasitic problems.
And the severity often has to do with toxic conditions,
Sick fish and sad looking plants may be symptoms of something else.
What is the frequency and amount changed in your water change routine?
How often and how do you clean filters?
Water are your water parameters? (nitrate, pH, ammonia)
How many fish in what size tank?
Do you occasionally add new fish without quarantining them?
The above, are all questions that need to be answered before diagnosing that type problem

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Dip the plants in a bleach solution for 1-3 minutes depending upon how delicate the plant is. Bleach solution = 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Dip the plants in a bleach solution for 1-3 minutes depending upon how delicate the plant is. Bleach solution = 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.
That's interesting. Sort of like the idea. I clean my plants sometimes with tap water (and remove the damaged dying stuff) and pop'em back in the tank. A diluted bleach solution sounds ok but I would still rinse them thoroughly or soak them in tap or treated water before going back in the tank.
I always clean thoroughly with tap water when getting new plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store