Cleaning Of Glass Tops ....

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Ok, I know this is something we all probably dread doing (I know I do). But even regular cleaning (and using a flat blade scraper - knife-blade, not putty-type), I still get a "haze" on the glass I can't seem to get rid of.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Vinegar. All I have to do is wipe them down once a month maybe let a vinegar soaked rag sit on some tough spots, but no scrubbing or scrapping required.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I use vinegar to clean just about everything in my house along with my tanks.

Are you sure the haze isn't from scratches? If it is I'm not sure what you can use to get ride of it.
Have any pictures?

My glass tops get a haze, but it is caused by the water misting them from the bubblers.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have the same problem. Is your water hard? I know mine is, I clean with vinegar and every once in a while I remove the lids and clean them with some CLR outside and flush with lots of water from the hose .

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Then vinegar will clean them up no problem. If it's really built up just soak some paper towels in vinegar and cover the glass for 5 minutes or so. It will wipe clean.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
I have used, food grade mineral oil in the past. Once you get them clean just use a paper towel with mineral oil and wipe it down.. just be careful not to get it in your tank or you will have an oil slick on top of your water.. harmless to the fish just looks like crap.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I'm in the middle of a rebuild and had this same problem with my large glass top. Razor blades, vinegar, steel wool... none of it cleaned the glass up.

If it really bothers you and you're willing to take the tops off and really clean them, then a product called Bar Keepers Friend is the thing to use. I used the powered form and added a small amount of water to the surface and simply buffed it in with a terry towel (similar to washing a sink with Comet); it didn't take long at all and after I washed everything down with water when I was finished scrubbing, the glass looked brand new.

I'm pretty sure you can buy it just about anywhere although I got mine on Amazon (six bucks a can).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store