Cleaning the back glass - any tools?

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
So I've been having a heck of a time trying to clean my back glass panel in my tank as there are certain spots I just cant reach and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tools to make this easier.

I have some stubborn algae spots that have to be manhandled haha.

The tank is a 6ft long and is against the wall with a paper background so magnets are a no go.

20190615_222002.jpg

Reactions: Jexnell

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

I have one like LBDave posted, works pretty good, but for stubborn stuff I use the El Cheapo DIY version above, I have a couple set at different angles, on different diameter PVC depending on pressure needed.
But I also am not averse to algae, and its positive effect on reducing nitrate, so often am too lazy to bother with the back panel.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I agree. I have quit doing the back panel. At least on the old one. The new one will be a different story.

Reactions: SwampFins

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Dang that tool looks great but it's a tad pricey.

I like duanes diy solution, might give it a go tonight as I have all the parts already!

I've never bothered with my back panels before but I'll admit I've been obsessing over this tank lately so I'm trying to keep it as clean as I can. That darn OCD kicking in lol

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
Also that tool looks just like one of those swiffer things.

I wonder if I can mod a dollar store one with a green scrubber sponge.. hmmm

Reactions: islandguy11

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Dang that tool looks great but it's a tad pricey.

I like duanes diy solution, might give it a go tonight as I have all the parts already!

I've never bothered with my back panels before but I'll admit I've been obsessing over this tank lately so I'm trying to keep it as clean as I can. That darn OCD kicking in lol
If you try this at home, be careful, or you'll put your eye out.

• Haha

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
For deeper tanks I just use a long piece of pvc with a scotch pad squished into one end, works just fine.

If you want to keep away the brown algae you need to install a UV sterilizer. After about a month of scraping (so the diatoms get into the water column where the UV can zap them), your brown algae problem should be largely gone (unless one is way overfeeding).

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have a UV sterilizer and found it limited on controlling algae or diatoms. Not saying I am an expert or have an adequately sized UV.
I have plants and that helps with the algae a bit but I still clean the glass at times. I honestly think that the diatoms are more related to phosphates. In my case I think the gravel had phosphates? Anyway, the tank seemed to find it's balance in time.
The UV and even phosphate filtration helped a little but time basically resolved it about 95%.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store