Clouded Archerfish Question

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
Couple days ago I was able to get ahold of 3 Clouded Archers (wanted 5 but by time I got to store only 3 were left), on the second day of getting them they started eating and now today they are bottomless pits and after moving them out of quarantine they have setup their own territories. My question is that it seems they get really skinny fast I target feed them by throwing a piece of shrimp beside or infront of them if I feed them in the mourning you can see the bulge in their belly but then after a couple hours they are skin and bones I’m feeding them freeze dried krill tails and bloodworms along with the pieces of flakes that make it past the rainbows (they won’t accept pellets yet but will try feeding them bug bites when settled in) they are also a lot darker in my tank then the lfs where they where a lot more white/yellow, but other than that they seem healthy as they are eating well, coming to the front glass when I’m close, and even go head to head right into the school of rainbows to get food. The pictures are of when I first got them into the main tank they started off white but since then have darkened I will put up pics Of them now later today.

41C6059C-664A-4738-84BA-07F5B9320A06.jpeg

7C433C1E-B45C-4762-B747-A93443EC5782.jpeg

E85C47C7-C640-4634-BBF4-3B4B33B99DD0.png

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
Here are them today
Couple days ago I was able to get ahold of 3 Clouded Archers (wanted 5 but by time I got to store only 3 were left), on the second day of getting them they started eating and now today they are bottomless pits and after moving them out of quarantine they have setup their own territories. My question is that it seems they get really skinny fast I target feed them by throwing a piece of shrimp beside or infront of them if I feed them in the mourning you can see the bulge in their belly but then after a couple hours they are skin and bones I’m feeding them freeze dried krill tails and bloodworms along with the pieces of flakes that make it past the rainbows (they won’t accept pellets yet but will try feeding them bug bites when settled in) they are also a lot darker in my tank then the lfs where they where a lot more white/yellow, but other than that they seem healthy as they are eating well, coming to the front glass when I’m close, and even go head to head right into the school of rainbows to get food. The pictures are of when I first got them into the main tank they started off white but since then have darkened I will put up pics Of them now later today.

View attachment 1436781

View attachment 1436782

View attachment 1436783
This is them today

3E8E8B0F-7AC0-4F38-9D17-DEB1199C246D.jpeg

C2E9559D-C4AC-4B63-B1ED-FBEF2C7564EF.jpeg

55704079-EC8F-4658-B176-2E1209BF8832.jpeg

63B418A4-DA14-4E44-9142-9240DB31505A.jpeg

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Just my opinion but I think they'll do better on an insect based diet. Of course keep feeding what you feed but I also recommend incorporating more bugs in their diet. Stuff like lobster roaches are easy to breed and are prolific. Try getting them to accept the bugbites, you can also get freezedried insects like black fly larvae and crickets and grasshoppers.

Reactions: CrunchyLobster123

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
Just my opinion but I think they'll do better on an insect based diet. Of course keep feeding what you feed but I also recommend incorporating more bugs in their diet. Stuff like lobster roaches are easy to breed and are prolific. Try getting them to accept the bugbites, you can also get freezedried insects like black fly larvae and crickets and grasshoppers.
Thank you! I was thinking about feeding insects but since I’m in Canada pretty much all but one roach is illegal I can try to gutloading some crickets and see how they accept those

Reactions: FESHMAN
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store