Cloudy eyes

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
I'll try and keep this short but ask any questions if there is something I should have included.

I ordered some keyhole cichlids through an LFS, he gave me a call when the order came in and I went in to pick them up about an hour later. (They were shipped from interstate and we have been having a heat wave here). They were still in the shipping bag when I turned up, he released them into the tank for me to pick out 6 of them. I picked which ones I wanted and he bagged them up for me.

I got them home and drip acclimatized them for just over 3 hours before adding them to my tank. I didn't test the water from the bag as it seemed like a moot point since they only spent about 15 mins in it, before I started drip acclimatizing them.

A couple of them have cloudy eyes and all of them have torn fins to some extent. I have heard that this can happen sometimes during shipping but have no experience dealing with it first hand.

I currently have them alone in a 55 gallon QT. I have a Aqua Clear 70 HOB and a sponge filter running on the tank. The sponge filter was a spare from my well established pond and half of the media in the HOB was from my cycled Canister filter.

From here what is my best course of action for ensuring a speedy recovery?

Should I do a basic salt treatment on the tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'll try and keep this short but ask any questions if there is something I should have included.

I ordered some keyhole cichlids through an LFS, he gave me a call when the order came in and I went in to pick them up about an hour later. (They were shipped from interstate and we have been having a heat wave here). They were still in the shipping bag when I turned up, he released them into the tank for me to pick out 6 of them. I picked which ones I wanted and he bagged them up for me.

I got them home and drip acclimatized them for just over 3 hours before adding them to my tank. I didn't test the water from the bag as it seemed like a moot point since they only spent about 15 mins in it, before I started drip acclimatizing them.

A couple of them have cloudy eyes and all of them have torn fins to some extent. I have heard that this can happen sometimes during shipping but have no experience dealing with it first hand.

I currently have them alone in a 55 gallon QT. I have a Aqua Clear 70 HOB and a sponge filter running on the tank. The sponge filter was a spare from my well established pond and half of the media in the HOB was from my cycled Canister filter.

From here what is my best course of action for ensuring a speedy recovery?

Should I do a basic salt treatment on the tank?

Yes a light salt treatment or just keep water in pristine condition and cloudy eye should clear up.

Reactions: Artt and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Reactions: Artt

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Yes a light salt treatment or just keep water in pristine condition and cloudy eye should clear up.
I aim for 55% water changes every 3 days on the QT. More if needed. :)

If I do a light salt treatment should I remove the mat of water lettuce from the tank?

Threw it in there because they were very skittish, they have been happily nibbling at the roots. There are probably some tasty morsels in there as it came from the pond.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I aim for 55% water changes every 3 days on the QT. More if needed. :)

If I do a light salt treatment should I remove the mat of water lettuce from the tank?

Threw it in there because they were very skittish, they have been happily nibbling at the roots. There are probably some tasty morsels in there as it came from the pond.

Yes remove the water lettuce if you think salt will harm it.

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

Artt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2018
Australia
After nearly a month now of being in the QT 2 of the keyhole cichlids still have cloudy eyes.

One of the adult males eyes was so bad I think it may be permanent now, he seems unfazed by it and it is just the one eye that is effected, his other eye has cleared.

I have one adult male though, both his eyes remain cloudy and he spends all his time bottom sitting, clamping his fins, while all the other keyholes are displaying normal healthy behaviour.

I'm not sure what to do about this, salt treatment hasn't worked and the last couple of days he has been uninterested in food. Any advice on where to progress from here would be much appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store