Clown Knife fish

Ohnoitstfloyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
So I went to my LFS for a gar, and there was a clown knife. mind you, i have two juvie clown knives, in a grow out tank. But this guy was big. Im (very close.) with the (ONE guy. the rest I didn't date. im not that awful) But, I see this clown knife. I know my ex sold it to a guy three months ago and he got brought back (rude, right?) Basically my ex knew if i took it, he would be happy, healthy, have plenty of space, live with (surprisingly ) peaceful tank mates. (stand by on that peaceful thing with the gar, wait until he gets big enough to go in the big tank). But big clown knife seems TERRIFIED. He only comes out at night (normal) but he's got these huge scared eyes. He's eating, all is well in the "health" aspect. he just seems scared. Is there anything I can do to make him less scared. Also I hear its possible (and easyish) to get knives to come out during the day. has anybody done this successfully and if so, how did you do it.

Tank info-
300 gallons
tank mates include Sarah, (15 inch arowana, not getting any bigger her growth was stunted as a babe) giant gourami (5ish inches) 2 rope fish, and a six inch fire eel. and two apple snails.
tank is heavily rocked, so plenty of places to hide. parameters are great, I take care of the tank, etc.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
The clown knife I used to know got more comfortable only after about 6 months

No scape on my tank except a big driftwood in the middle. The tank is black all over except front

A-Train

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Florida
I want to apologize time ahead because I usually don’t check back here often but I’ll try to just to help you with this. I have a golden clown knife when I first bought him he was terrified especially since the LFS I got him from had him at the bottom tank so all kids were able to tap on the glass and basically torture this poor little guy it was very hard to have him relax and get used to me even being near the tank without freaking out. Mind you he’s a golden so light bothers him even more so than normal knives ( which made the situation worse ) now what I did was put a HUGE half cut PVC pipe in the tank large enough so his entire body can fit inside so he feels secure. I also leveled the light above the tank instead of having it sit directly above it just so it’s slightly dimmer mine does not come out too much during the day but at night he will come out and swim around I’ve had him for about 2 years now and is now 24” I’ll try to take a picture or video today of him out and about :) also I fed him food that would not startle him and what I mean by that is you know some food like bloodworms gets everyone excited and a lot of movement happens in the tank I tried to avoid that and fed chunks of tilapia instead it was a little more of a peaceful feeding to help

Predkeep561

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
South Florida
I want to apologize time ahead because I usually don’t check back here often but I’ll try to just to help you with this. I have a golden clown knife when I first bought him he was terrified especially since the LFS I got him from had him at the bottom tank so all kids were able to tap on the glass and basically torture this poor little guy it was very hard to have him relax and get used to me even being near the tank without freaking out. Mind you he’s a golden so light bothers him even more so than normal knives ( which made the situation worse ) now what I did was put a HUGE half cut PVC pipe in the tank large enough so his entire body can fit inside so he feels secure. I also leveled the light above the tank instead of having it sit directly above it just so it’s slightly dimmer mine does not come out too much during the day but at night he will come out and swim around I’ve had him for about 2 years now and is now 24” I’ll try to take a picture or video today of him out and about :) also I fed him food that would not startle him and what I mean by that is you know some food like bloodworms gets everyone excited and a lot of movement happens in the tank I tried to avoid that and fed chunks of tilapia instead it was a little more of a peaceful feeding to help
What temp do u usually keep the water for your CKF?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store