clown knife keeps attacking new frontosia

nheff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2009
Southern Ontario
I just bought a 9 inch frontosia and i put him in my 55 gallon with my 8 inch clown knife and he is continuosly attacking the frontosia. hes already bitten off a peice of its fin. has anyone ever had trouuble with mixing clown knifes? because i was told they are a peaceful fish!

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Usually they're pretty mellow with fish they can't eat, but I've had several, especially Royals, that were really nasty towards certain fish. I'd remove the Front before it gets creamed.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
9 inch frontosa is too big for a 55gal.. maybe if they had more room... but since both of them are more or less bottom dwellers the knife feels his space is in jeopordy... please don't let anything happen to the big front .. it took many years for it to grow that big.. so if you don't have another tank for it your better off taking it back..did you pay alot for it? A heathy front of that size is worth a good amount... good luck

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
CKs are usually mellow, but there are those that are very aggressive and territorial. Like Red Devil said, it's possible that since Fronts occupy the bottom, the CK may feel that it's intruding on it's territory. You might be able to remove the CK for a few days, rearrange the decor, and place the CK back. Keep an eye on it to see if there's anymore aggression.

nheff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2009
Southern Ontario
ya the ck seems to be leaving him alone now but the front still really stressed from it. im debating wether i should just take him back (2 hour drive) or take the ck out for a while and let the front get used to the tank. And ya red devil he was $80 and hes awesome so dont worry i wont let anyything happen to him

MeiTnerium109

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
USA
They will stop fighting when you upgrade their tank size. The clown knife is cramped and trying to regain space by killing the frontosa.

And it'll get worse. Both fish will continue to grow. Frontosas need 70 and clown knifefish would be better off in a tank at least twice a 55.

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Clown knifes can grow 40" long btw, A tank of atleast 400 gallons (Depending on footprint) will be needed in the long run.

nheff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2009
Southern Ontario
ya so i ended up giving my clown knife away and now hes in a 100 gallon with two huge id sharks and hes even attacking them even though hes like half the size! i think i just had an evil fish. i am planning on uprading to a 150 gallon frontosa tank so this is only temporary. Frontosa is doing fine now with two red hook silver dollars

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store