clown knife wont eat!

Nate Dogg

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2011
Louisville
try a feeder with some feeder goldfish with a fin cut off. This will cause bleeding and erratic action should bring out the deep seeded predator in it.

wildthingy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Orlando
finally got my knife to eat i had to flick a really small feeder guppie in the head and it kinda fluttered down to the bottom and he grabbed it! anyways does anyone know were i could find a golden knife fish want one real bad and how much do they usually cost for like a 5 incher.

ThomasJ48

Feeder Fish
Dec 26, 2019
Hey guys I recently got 2 new fish i got a black ghost knife and a clown knife now the black ghost knife is eating great the first day and ever since i got him 5 days ago he eats blood worms out of my hand now.... on the other hand my clown knife wont eat. I have tried live feeders, blood worms, beefheart, and brine shrimp..... nothing he kept striking at the feeders but it looked like he was just trying to get them out of his territory not cuz he wanted to eat them he is about 5 inches long maybe a little less and i got him 5 days ago help pleaseee!
I have the same exact issue I have a Black ghost knife that is a few inches larger than the clown and he is eating excellently but the clown won't take anything I've tried blood worms and a range of feeder fish from fry to feeder guppies and he just sits with them. He won't claim any territory it seems like he is just following the black ghost knife, and when the ghost knife wants his space he scares away the clown. Another thing I've noticed is when the lights are turned off in the tank he heads into the mid to high-level water and looks straight down and hovers there. I can't figure out if the clown is attempting to hunt or I don't know what else it could be doing. The clown is looking very thin and I'm worried that if it doesn't take to anything it will die. I don't feel like the knife has the instinct to take live. However, I've noticed the Ghost knife going after the feeders which I found really shocking in the past I've had ghost knifes and they would never go after anything just blood worms. I tried putting the clown in a container with small feeder guppies similar size to fry and blood worms and it just sat there confused. I don't know what to do. This is my first clown and I knew they were picky going into this whole thing but I thought they would have at least some reaction.

Reactions: Predkeep561

Predkeep561

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2020
South Florida
I have the same exact issue I have a Black ghost knife that is a few inches larger than the clown and he is eating excellently but the clown won't take anything I've tried blood worms and a range of feeder fish from fry to feeder guppies and he just sits with them. He won't claim any territory it seems like he is just following the black ghost knife, and when the ghost knife wants his space he scares away the clown. Another thing I've noticed is when the lights are turned off in the tank he heads into the mid to high-level water and looks straight down and hovers there. I can't figure out if the clown is attempting to hunt or I don't know what else it could be doing. The clown is looking very thin and I'm worried that if it doesn't take to anything it will die. I don't feel like the knife has the instinct to take live. However, I've noticed the Ghost knife going after the feeders which I found really shocking in the past I've had ghost knifes and they would never go after anything just blood worms. I tried putting the clown in a container with small feeder guppies similar size to fry and blood worms and it just sat there confused. I don't know what to do. This is my first clown and I knew they were picky going into this whole thing but I thought they would have at least some reaction.
I am pretty much in the same boat rn with my clown. BUT lately I have been finding these little shrimp skins/shells floating here n there. But idk if that means he's eating them or if shrimp just do that. There's so many places for them to hide its impossible to keep count of them

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am pretty much in the same boat rn with my clown. BUT lately I have been finding these little shrimp skins/shells floating here n there. But idk if that means he's eating them or if shrimp just do that. There's so many places for them to hide its impossible to keep count of them
If Clown Knife Fish don't eat it will become very skinny and frail. If you notice any bulge bulge in it's stomach and the Clown Knife is active that's a good sign it's eating.

Reactions: Predkeep561
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store