Clown loaches-damange from greyed out sparring

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I know this "fighting" is normal. The Loaches turn grey and they lock mouths or scratch each other with their mouths. The literature says it usually happens around similar sized Loaches and it's how they fight to be higher in the school hierarchy.

In my tank, usually this might go on for a few mins and then one would give up. There would usually be no damage or you could see scratched on the side, but they were usually minor.

How much damage have you all seen from sparring Loaches?

The most was last night. I saw this deep scratch this morning that seems to have broken the skin. I'm pretty sure it's from sparring and they usually meet head on and try to lock mouths.

Two days ago,.one was really sparring with everyone except my big mama loach. Even baby loach (my elder make) and this female that's bigger than everyone except my big mama loach turned grey at some point. I haven't seen these two turn grey in at least a year.

This loach will most likely be fine as I'm keeping every other day water changes until it's healed.

I'm just surprised to see actual damage.

Edit:
So as I'm posting this, I see that scratched loach turning grey but the other loach near him gave up and went to the other side. Maybe the major sparring is over as evidenced by competitor just giving up just now.

PXL_20210201_014130001.MP.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The eye hooks would be the greatest concern. I personally have 2 that go at it occasionally but no serious cuts or wounds.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
It is amusing how they get along afterwards. They moved since I went to go get my phone. Right before this pic, the scratched face on was lying on one that he obviously had sparred with earlier as that one had two minor scratches on his side.

Now, all three are just hanging out there even though scratched face (pic in previous post) was just grey a few mins ago.PXL_20210201_030028800.MP.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
My XL Y. Modesta Botias occasionally fight. Sometimes the sparring lasts 15 - 20 minutes.
Other than minor abrasions, due to brushing against the rocks, no substantial injuries.
I've never read on the forums where death occurred from any big Botia sparring, although I'm sure it has occurred.

Reactions: tlindsey

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
My clown loaches get into scuffles here and there, but I have never seen any major injuries. I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy the exhibition fight for what it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store