Clown loaches...Is 4f diameter round plastic pond - 240G polyehtylene

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
As the title suggests, is a round 4f diameter,, 2.5 feet tall, 240 Gallon polyethylene pond too small for my 7 , two to six year old clown loaches? They are varying sizes from 3 inch the youngest to 8 inch the oldest.

So what do you think of completely round tanks for fish? I'd love bigger/longer diameter but I can't house it comfortably....

Is it ok to filter this with several manufactured external filters?

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It's a bit small to house all of them, why don't u make a current pond , with a liner, that way u can fit it to the contours of your house?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks.

I already got the tank so its a bit of an after-timing. The surface area of this tank is actually larger than a rectangular 6x2x2 tank which is the minimum for clown loaches long term. That's good enough to me. I hear people say fish don't swim in a circle but they don't swim in a straight line too.

I don't trust pond liners and after two tank breaks in the last year I don't trust glass tanks either. So I got myself an above ground round plastic pond. The shape takes more space than if I got a rectangular tank but I read into aquaponics quite a lot and that seems to be the best shape for fish according to some experts.

Now I can only pray they are ok in this for a good while. They are still small enough and I think the water volume is sufficient to house them. I also think they love their new home. See a quick video below.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Real cool, I would do something like this in the future. Nice setup

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks tlindsey and RD. They are doing very well and I dare to say they do like the round tank a lot.

I recently got them a bit of company, 9 denison barbs and 5 SAEs. They are only fry size yet though..

Here are a couple of videos from today:

Last edited:
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store