Clown Loaches - new tank, not eating, losing weight : a little worried

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
5x small'ish clowns that Iv'e had for a little over a year. Moved over the last 6weeks, going from 20gal to 55gal for 3weeks, and now into the 100. They were eating well in both previous, but apparently have stopped eating in current location. Smallest is starting to visibly loose weight (though not condition) and I'm a little... thoughtful. Other/bigger 4 hide most of the time (still) so not getting to see if they're eating. Never had "skinny syndrome" in this group, not had loaches since 2013 and never in this system (filter & substrate) to get access to skinny parasite... hopefully.

Feed is the aquacultural kibble they were getting (and loved) previously, plus frozen prawn and an occasional squashed garden snail.

This tank has old/used/conditioned filter & substrate with plenty of old bamboo & root hides, MTS & annelids. Substrate is marine "oats" CaCO3 sand & water is rainwater, same substrate (type) & water as in the 55. Other fish in the system are ABK, common pleco & RTS, all seem to be eating. Not seeing the loaches putting particular effort into the MTS, as pre-2013 population(s) did/loved.

Also 5x adult zamora in this system that I've not seen eat and weren't eating much in the 55, but now very active after dark - these were highly spoiled on juv swordtails for a long time, so there may be a hunger-shift still to happen...

Another 20% water-change this afternoon, just in case, but this water's pretty new already & system is well understocked.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Do you have some test results on your tank water.
With your occupation you may tell me I’m way off the mark but...............
My first thoughts are on your substrate. Marine oats CaCo3 is not for use in freshwater setups. I have fallen foul of this previously with certain fish, using my marine gravel.
This substrate is potentially crushed coral and it will effect the chemistry of the water. Hence it being used in marine tanks and Malawi setups. Clowns will like soft water whereas the Marine oats will be making it anything but. The longer the tank has been running, the greater the effect. Moving the gravel or changing it to another tank using the same water will heighten or liven up the effect too.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
I don't disagree re oats, it's porous & high surface area & going to be "active" (it's not coral, but dead Halimeda sp. algae fronds that form dunes at depth). However, I collected & have been using this very batch since ~2013 including >a year with these loaches - never an issue, even with a tap-water that is notoriously hard. I like with the current rainwater & bamboo to ensure a bit of pH buffer, plus micro minerals etc., particularly with snails. I also find it light with interstitial gapping amenable to burrowers such as MTS, annelids & Am.eels, all of which keeps gas & noxious pockets from forming. I'm not seeing the loaches dig, but they're also apparently not interested in MTS (yet). This batch of eels are still too small, can't trust the cats & knife yet. Maybe by November...
I've added a Hydor to give it a stir & bump the O2... any ideas on softening the racket from this ancient wave-maker would be most welcome :)

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Add some raw mussell flesh if you want to condition your loaches. Or minced earthworms but the mussell is much easier.

Reactions: andyroo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store