Clown not eating "not skinny disease"

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
I have a group of around about 20 clown from 2" to 10". Recently i picked up another 10"er which for the first month was always fighting with my other large clown. Now a month or two on, the original clown is back to the boss of the tank and the new larger one has stopped eating.

I have dealt with Skinny Disease in the past and I know this is not the issues as i have not seen the newer clown eat and rather than looking emaciated you can just see that he is not eating. Could it be due to stress of him moving into a large school?

Now my original large clown doeskin even display or try to fight with the newer one. Will he eventually start eating again? If not I may have to move him on to stop him starving itself to death.

Reactions: smjack

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
If you have a quarantine tank, do it. Add a tube for the loach to hide in. If you have levamisole use it. Depending on how much thin you female are, chances are she got weak. Whether she got worms or not levamisole can give your thin loach an immune system boost. If you haven't dewormed the whole pack, now is the time to do so. Read the instructions are loaches online. Good luck. PS. I had skinny loaches. The clowns sold was to weak and small. I should have done it sooner

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
If you bought a new loach and didn't deworm, better deworm the whole pack. Ask other peoples opinion

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Sometimes when the larger loaches are harvested from the wild at larger sizes they have a difficult time adapting to captivity, opposed to loaches harvested at smaller sizes and grown in captivity. Whats the background on your new loach?

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
That too could be a problem. Try diet changes. Frozen blood worms. Wailua and fallen can you post your tank? 20 clowns is a sight to behold

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
That too could be a problem. Try diet changes. Frozen blood worms. Wailua and fallen can you post your tank? 20 clowns is a sight to behold
Will get one up soon. Will de wormthe pack and see how we get on. Cheers

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
If you have a quarantine tank, do it. Add a tube for the loach to hide in. If you have levamisole use it. Depending on how much thin you female are, chances are she got weak. Whether she got worms or not levamisole can give your thin loach an immune system boost. If you haven't dewormed the whole pack, now is the time to do so. Read the instructions are loaches online. Good luck. PS. I had skinny loaches. The clowns sold was to weak and small. I should have done it sooner
Where can i get Levamisole from?

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Sometimes when the larger loaches are harvested from the wild at larger sizes they have a difficult time adapting to captivity, opposed to loaches harvested at smaller sizes and grown in captivity. Whats the background on your new loach?
I have experienced this with a 9" clown that I'm quite certain was picked from the wild at that size. I didn't see it eat for close to two months. Finally got it to eat chopped shrimp. After several months it learned to eat pellets from watching the other clowns. It's been about a year now, and still doesn't have an appetite like my long term captives, but seems healthy otherwise.

Reactions: follen and smjack

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Try your local poultry supply. I got Philippine pesos 35 for 10 grams. It is for chickens / cock fighting. You can probably find it in your country. Used for pigs goats sheep etc. follen follen

Reactions: follen
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store