Co2 Question

Shanks87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
So I just picked up my first co2 system today. It came with a reactor but I cant hook it up tonight I need to get more hose. My question, right now I have an air stone on the co2 line sitting in the inlet of the pump in the sump. Would this be good enough or should I eventually hook up the reactor?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d suggest the reactor. You won’t lose much CO2 with the reactor.

Arthur11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2021
All fish and aquatic plants need Carbon Dioxide as it is required for them to grow and stay healthy in the tank. However, it can be a bit difficult to achieve the right level or perfect balance of oxygen delivery with carbon dioxide. So having a C02 reactor in the aquarium is essential. They ensure that most of the carbon dioxide from your tank dissolves into the water. This happens because the reaction chamber ensures that the carbon dioxide molecules are in contact with the water long enough for them to dissolve.

Arthur11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2021
All fish and aquatic plants need Carbon Dioxide as it is required for them to grow and stay healthy in the tank. However, it can be a bit difficult to achieve the right level or perfect balance of oxygen delivery with carbon dioxide. So having a C02 reactor in the aquarium is essential. They ensure that most of the carbon dioxide from your tank dissolves into the water. This happens because the reaction chamber ensures that the carbon dioxide molecules are in contact with the water long enough for them to dissolve.
If you have a large planted tank, you should get this device as it will help you keep your hydrophytes healthy and happy. On the other hand, if you have a tank that is under 50 gallons in capacity, then it is overkill.

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
Running undissolved gas through most filters and pumps can cause vapor lock or otherwise damage them. Wat back when I ran pressurized CO2 I needed to be able to make a filter double as a "diffuser." The idea was the impeller would chop the bubble enough for it it to be sufficiently dissolved by the time the water was returned to the tank. So I saw my challenge as being one of finding a canister filter that could withstand this.

My conclusion was I would only attempt it with and Eheim canister and I used their relatively new Pro 2 2026. I can say the following about the system.

1. The tank was a 50 gal., but the layout reduced the water volume by at least 1/3.
2. It normally ran 24/7 at 1 bps. The co2 line was inserted into the intake via the prefilter. The spraybar was submerged and i never saw any gas coming out of it.
3. I ran the set-up for just under 10 years when I sold the CO2 system and repurposed the tank.
4. There was no plant I could not grow as long as it did not get really tall.
5. I set this up in late 2002 and had it going by early 2003. I still have the canister today running. It has pretty much been running continuously since 2003.
6. I lost almost no fish in this tank and, despite being a community set-up, my farlowellas spawned in it.

I cannot say this would work in a much larger tank. My best guess is the challenge would be more one of dispersing the dissolved CO2 all over the tank where it is needed. I would assume it might make more sense to have the CO2 laden water being returned in a few different places in the tank. I leave it to those who have done co2 in big tanks before to confirm this or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store