cobalt ext reviews?

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
does anybody have any experience good or bad with the cobalt ext canister filter. can't seem to find any reviews any where online. I was thinking of running an ac110 but for $20 More I could get the ext .

I was planning on running mostly purigen with some ceramic to help out the fx4 on my 75g fancy goldfish tank. ac110 runs on 14w vs ext at 6.5w.

any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

https://www.cobaltaquatics.com/products/ext-canister-filter

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I've used several Cobalt powerheads and have always been very happy with them. Looking at this in-line pump and canister, if it's made in Italy like the MJs, everything else looks good to me. I like the build and, although you can't really trust reviews on YouTube and elsewhere, I'd try it for $20 more than an AC110 ... especially since it's better equipped for adding purigen and media. It's rated for 55 gallons but with a 7 liter media capacity and 210 gpH flowrate I'd rate it higher. It's around $100 on amazon.

I'm going to order the inline pump from Dr. Fosters & Smith for $26.38 on sale.

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
i think i might jut pull the trigger at the end of the month and buy the cobalt, for an extra $20 it is alot more filter, thanks for the insite.

let me know how you like the pump, im thinking if buying it for my little sister to help her do her WC, alot easier than a 5 gallon bucket

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
So-So performance , but definitely does NOT pump 20+ gallons per hour. I used mine for 3 months "stock" (with pump in-tank) as kind of a purigen "filter" of sorts, then changed the pump to a MJ1200 (still in tank) for 4 months, and although it "helped" the flow by quite a bit, I still eventually shut it down, and took it off the tank.

I WAS going to try hooking it up to an Eheim 1260 pump (600gph) that I have lying around, but after thinking about all the hose reducers I would need to procure, and worrying about whether it could handle that kind of pressure, I lost the desire to try.

Make a pretty good low flow chemical media reactor overall in stock form, but I wouldn’t recommend it's use it a solitary filter for anything over 29gal tank.

The SunSun 304B is a MUCH BETTER BUY (Media capacity plus flow rate)to be honest if you're in that budget range.

My opinion only, YMMV

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
slow flow doesn't bug me since I'm looking to run this just for a liter purigen, any room left will be fillled with ceramic, .already have an fx4 doing a awesome job in my tank.. I looked at the sunsun but they run at 30 watts cobalt will run at 6.5 watts. trying to keep my power usage reaonable as power bill is not cheap here in Cali. 4 tanks running won't be helping the bill much either .

I appreciate your input I will try and keep this post update for anybody else that maybe interested in the cobalt.

worst case scenario it doesn't meet my expectations on my big tank and I move it over the my 30g planted tank instead of the 2 aquaclear filters I have on that.

Reactions: tarheel96

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
quick update.. I bought the ext on a whim, received it today.

it was on sale on Amazon it was $96 shipped, price fluctuates between 85 and 150 so keep and eye on it and wait like it did.

first impressions is that it doesn't feel "cheap". all the hoses and clamps are of decent quality but nothing compared to the hardware I got on my fx4, duh.
canister is actally a pretty decent size with nice big baskets, I loosely packed some media from my established rena xp-l. still had more room to fill but I don't have any extra media laying around .
I set it all up with the pump on the out hose. it's a slow flow that very obvious compared to the rena but of course it cost about half as much.

I'm gonna run it on my 75g tank with the 4 polys and 2 Oscars to supplement the rena xp-l. I'll post update if the canisters blows up or does any magic tricks

20171116_185605.jpg

Reactions: tarheel96
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store