Cohazard’s parrot breeding projects - journal thread

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
For years, I have wanted to experiment with breeding blood parrots or specifically King Kong parrots, but never kept fish long enough to achieve it.

I’m going to really focus time and effort into achieving some goals in producing some interesting parrots for people who like parrot fish as much as I do, and this thread will be where I post updates on how it all goes.

The first project I’m working on will be to produce and refine, some Synspilum colored parrots. There are a lot of locality variants of melanura cichlids,and I eventually want to work with multiple, but starting out with this unknown locality I picked up today.

I’ve got him in a tank with two 6-7” gold/yellow parrots, which I’m pretty sure one is male and one is female.

This is the one I believe is female. It was being guarded by a large male parrot at the aquarium shop, but here in my tank it’s been digging which is usually a male behavior.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
There is a thread in which guy had fry from midas and synspilum, and they all were parrot or parrot like. My take away from that was since the species are not very closely related they produced a different shape than both parents, the colors are mostly solid as of Midas. I am not sure how 75% synspilum and 25% midas, product of synspilum x parrot, would look like. It would be interesting to see though.

Parrot x gt make red texas and those look amazing but seem to get vieja shape and midas color, not parrot shape.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I’ve seen a spawn of this pairing and purchased some from someone on MFK years ago.

Results will be a mix up of some short body parrot shape with ashed out syn color, and some syn shape that fade, and other mix match.

I have a good feeling of what to expect from the first generation, the next step is to refine. From there I will take Female parrot shape and breed back to a male syn, to get better syn color and pearl, with parrot shape.

this clip shows the ugly colors and mix of body shape to expect from first generation of this cross.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
That's great. To me it always surprises me, still learning on how genetic traits are passed on and how they show up. Good luck, I would be following closely and thank you for keeping a journal.

Reactions: Cohazard

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Thank you for following along, it helps keep me motivated to continue the project :)

When I do finally get fry, I will do my best to document the various mixture of traits, to help me decide what to cull and what to continue breeding for the line.

I imagine it will take me between 2 and 4 years to accomplish the look I want: intense syn color and pearl, on a kkp/mammon and yuan bao parrot body shape :)

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Quick update, picked up a golden base kamfa for my future plans for producing crystal parrots.

the melanura Vieja is still settling in, no signs of breeding yet. I’ll add a terra cotta plate today since they can’t keep the sand clear where they’ve been digging.

77F40627-B53F-4A9D-B6F0-0CC7BC8A32CE.jpeg

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I’m honestly not sure at this point this is my first time keeping a Vieja and I keep going back-and-forth in my mind

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Nice serge!!! How long until you come back to bichirs?
I have an ornate, Nigerian sen, and a couple polli.
Might add some albino sens soon but that’s it.

Staying focused on hybrids right now :)

Reactions: T1015x2
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store