Colunmaris is a force to be reckoned with.

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
In less then 2 days, I have had 14 angels and 8 rams die whom were living healthy together for 8 months. I did the mistake the many beginners do being not quarantining fish, and this has brought a disaster to my fish room. On top of my all my 55 stock dying this disease has also infected my other fish since I use the same water changer for all my tanks. This disease spreads really quick, and is very hard to treat. Kanaplex itself won't work for all strains, it has to be used in conjunction with a medication containing nitrofurazone such as jungle fungus clear and Furan 2. From this experience I have learned to always quarantine my fish and always have medications on me so if this does occur again I will have the right tools in hand.

Reactions: RD.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
In less then 2 days, I have had 14 angels and 8 rams die whom were living healthy together for 8 months. I did the mistake the many beginners do being not quarantining fish, and this has brought a disaster to my fish room. On top of my all my 55 stock dying this disease has also infected my other fish since I use the same water changer for all my tanks. This disease spreads really quick, and is very hard to treat. Kanaplex itself won't work for all strains, it has to be used in conjunction with a medication containing nitrofurazone such as jungle fungus clear and Furan 2. From this experience I have learned to always quarantine my fish and always have medications on me so if this does occur again I will have the right tools in hand.

Sorry to hear this and loss of your stock.

Reactions: Icedcoldmine

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Bummer, but a good reminder of the potential dangers when not utilizing a proper QT.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Columnaris is a bad bug. I think there are 4 separate strains. By the time you see the white saddleback growth on the exterior, irreparable damage has already occurred on the inside. All strains are certain killers, just some strains kill overnight, others take a few days. I don't know anyone in the hobby that has ever been successful in curing the disease with meds. I think the best strategy in dealing with Columnaris is to euthanize all fish showing symptoms, followed by large WC's over the next few days. Sorry for your losses.

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Ah no! I'm treating my 90g that already has rainbows showing exterior damage of this disease (white fungus on outside) and most of em have reddened gills. They are all eating well and as active as ever, I hope they can push through it :(

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
FYI - there are several strains of Flexibactor columnaris aka Flavobacterium columnare aka Duck Lips, with the more virulent strains of this bacteria ones fish can be dead in less than a week, but that is certainly not always the case with less virulent strains.

More info (and pics) can be found on this disease in the past discussion.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/15-umbee-sick-help.543236/

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Aka saddleback aka cotton mouth, etc. It's the disease with a thousand names!

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
One of the initial symptoms of Columnaris is a fish that suddenly stops eating, and becomes noticably inactive. Hopefully your Rainbows have some other type of outbreak. One that is more likely to be cured. Good luck.

Reactions: Icedcoldmine

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have found one of the best ways to keep it from spreading, is to euthanize all fish in the tank, take it down and bleach everything that has touched its water. Nets tubes, filter media, absolutely everything.
Certain strains of this bacteria have the ability to sit dormant in even a smidgeon of dampness for years, and reoccur (some strains seem to favor certain species), unless totally irradiated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store