Common or sailfin?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I got these two almost a year ago sold as common plecos. Is this correct?
I thought I read somewhere that commons are actually really hard to find and most sold under that name are really sailfins. That has me wondering which type I have. I'm leaning towards sailfin.
20170418_074145.jpg
I did have to separate them a few months back because they were fighting and hurting each other (as you can see). This is the smaller of the two for a side shot.
IMG_1368.JPG
Both those pictures are from a while ago. The little one is now 9" and the bigger one somewhere between 10-11" I believe. If that helps with identification at all.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I got these two almost a year ago sold as common plecos. Is this correct?
I thought I read somewhere that commons are actually really hard to find and most sold under that name are really sailfins. That has me wondering which type I have. I'm leaning towards sailfin.
View attachment 1279602
I did have to separate them a few months back because they were fighting and hurting each other (as you can see). This is the smaller of the two for a side shot.
View attachment 1279603
Both those pictures are from a while ago. The little one is now 9" and the bigger one somewhere between 10-11" I believe. If that helps with identification at all.

The one on the right may be a Sailfin due to the color pattern.

Reactions: MrsE88 and RedRaven

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
They both belong to Pterygoplichthys which have over 10 rays in their fins. You may be confusing the original common pleco which is Hypostomus plecostomus, they only have 7 rays.
So are there more then one kind of common pleco?
And yes I believe you are right.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
So are there more then one kind of common pleco?
And yes I believe you are right.
Yes, there are 3. Hypostomus Plecostmus was the first one, pre-90's.

But it made way to the next two
(2)P. Pardalis and (3)P. disjunctivus look alike and are hard to tell apart. The belly is the way to tell them apart. A P. Pardalis has a circle like pattern and a P. disjunctivus has wavy lines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store