Common Pleco and plants

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
So i have a 75 gallon tank in which I keep my angel fish, 2 Bps, an oscar, and a pleco. I'm using it as a grow out tank for my oscar, bps, and pleco but my pleco keeps messing with my Hydrocotyle tripartita. Yesterday night i saw him uproot my poor plants and he tangled them up around his body as if playing with it. This is actually the second time I've seen him do this and since their permanent tank won't be ready until around February I cant really do much about it. Does anyone know how I could deviate him from playing with them?
(Also before anyone becomes concerned for the angel fish the oscar and the angel fish have been together since they were both around 2 inches and have never had any problems.)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So i have a 75 gallon tank in which I keep my angel fish, 2 Bps, an oscar, and a pleco. I'm using it as a grow out tank for my oscar, bps, and pleco but my pleco keeps messing with my Hydrocotyle tripartita. Yesterday night i saw him uproot my poor plants and he tangled them up around his body as if playing with it. This is actually the second time I've seen him do this and since their permanent tank won't be ready until around February I cant really do much about it. Does anyone know how I could deviate him from playing with them?
(Also before anyone becomes concerned for the angel fish the oscar and the angel fish have been together since they were both around 2 inches and have never had any problems.)
There isn't really anything that will stop the Pleco from uprooting the plants. You will also have problems with the Oscar as well uprooting the plants .

Reactions: kno4te

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
well so far the oscar hasn't done anything to them and hes been in there for 3 months the pleco just immediately went into attack mode though lol. Thanks though I'll probably just ask my friend if he can hold it for me until I have the tank ready.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
well so far the oscar hasn't done anything to them and hes been in there for 3 months the pleco just immediately went into attack mode though lol. Thanks though I'll probably just ask my friend if he can hold it for me until I have the tank ready.
When the Oscar matures it will start digging in the gravel.

Reactions: THOSranger

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When the Oscar matures it will start digging in the gravel.
Agree with Tom the oscars plant destruction future is inevitable, and that Pleco's are normally always plant destroyers, unless your plants are heavily and very securely rooted their normal tendency to thrash around makes it them plant uprooting machines.
In fact the only fish you have that are plant friendly are the angels.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Get more solid plants. I doubt he was intentionally uprooting them, maybe poking around looking for food.
But...
Plecos are basically big, dumb bulls in a china shop.

Reactions: Raka and THOSranger

THOSranger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2019
Houston, TX
The tank is meant for the angelfish, but I knew that the BPs and Pleco were going to wreck the place. Thankfully the BPs haven't done anything yet. I'll just let nature take its course and allow the destruction for now and I'll just do some rescaping once I move them.

Reactions: tlindsey

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
My sailfin will knock all my anubis loose as he cleans algae or biofilm off the roots. I have had luck with adding some small rock to hold them down/make it easier to replace. I have moved most of my plants the the edges of tank as well and this has decreased the frequency of uprooting, however with my luck ill get home tonight and they will all be floating.

Maybe some heartier plants in the mean time to help with the visual appeal? Prehaps growing the plant out in a seperate tank in the duration to be able to replant after you rehome?

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
There isn't really anything that will stop the Pleco from uprooting the plants. You will also have problems with the Oscar as well uprooting the plants .
I can attest to this one. My Oscar used to love to redecorate my tank.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store