Compatibility question, sparkling gouramis and marbled hatchetfish?

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I know they both gravitate towards the top water level of the aquarium but from what I have hear sparkling gouramis will swim all over the tank while the hatchetfish only stays at the top, but I wanted to ask if anyone tried putting them together before I try to? I know they are both pretty peaceful but I am worried about their territories clashing and if it is a bad idea I will wait on the hatchetfish for another tank? Thank you!

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
Sparkling Gourami really love a nice peaceful tank. I doubt I'd ever see mine if they were with something bigger and more active like Hatchets.

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
Sparkling Gourami really love a nice peaceful tank. I doubt I'd ever see mine if they were with something bigger and more active like Hatchets.
I guess that means wouldn’t the like the dwarf chain loaches; sounds like I may need to rethink my stocking plan because the dwarf chains are going to be the main species in that tank so I want to consider something else.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Hatchet fish are not territorial, and neither are pearl gouramis (except when spawning). even though they both hug the surface area.
And since the loaches are mainly substrate huggers, there probably all be little squabbling as long as the tank has enough space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store