Compatibility (Tankmates)

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
While my 400 is being built, my son and I are planning out some stocking ideas and curious your thoughts on compatibility.

We have a Silver Aro, Kelberi PB, and Clown Knife that will all be loved over from out grow out.

Thinking about the following, would love comments if you think we’ll have issues with any of these and open to other recommendations.

**Note, we won’t be putting all of these in the tank, probably 3-4 additions total

- Another Kelberi
- Jardini Aro
- Bichir (endlicheri or ornate)
- Water cow
- Pike cichlid (lenticulata, atabapo red, or zebrina)
- Datnoid

Appreciate your input!

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
The others will most likely chime in,

What are you keeping them in now?

The safe bet would be more Kel’s, a zebrinha,
maybe a large Bichir...

That’s about the stock I’m headed twords,

I’ve heard arrows are single usually or bunches in a big tank, the jar may not be a good addition...

I’ve never had a big clown knife, I’ve heard stories of them wreaking havoc in the night....

GL!

Pics of the current stock?

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
The others will most likely chime in,

What are you keeping them in now?

The safe bet would be more Kel’s, a zebrinha,
maybe a large Bichir...

That’s about the stock I’m headed twords,

I’ve heard arrows are single usually or bunches in a big tank, the jar may not be a good addition...

I’ve never had a big clown knife, I’ve heard stories of them wreaking havoc in the night....

GL!

Pics of the current stock?
They are currently in their original tank, a 90 gal that they’ve been in since only a couple inches. This the main reason for the upgrade to the 400 so we can keep them. The clown knife so far has been the most docile fish in the tank. The kel has been the bully but they all mostly get along having been together since essentially being fry.

The knife has been hard to get a good pic of but he’s about 8-9 inches long right now and spends most of his time under the drift wood.

The kelberi is roughly 10 inches and insatiable, but just now really starting to “color up”.

The Aro is 18-20” now I would say. Survived a scare last summer after jumping out of the tank and now has one drop eye, but is beautiful with lost of red color in the tail and between scales.

67C6ACC5-9062-4A8D-82D5-5783F494C7ED.jpeg

4A7B0822-756C-43E0-88F2-53E01DC55DE5.jpeg

4938EFFD-1747-47A9-A56D-E9FAE0D90391.jpeg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Nice looking set up!

Lids... ya, I’ve lost 4 this year...

just because I did it wrong, get the tank first before getting more fish...

I did it the other way and causes more stress...

I’d imagine with the state of our union, there may be Tank deals out there!

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
Nice looking set up!

Lids... ya, I’ve lost 4 this year...

just because I did it wrong, get the tank first before getting more fish...

I did it the other way and causes more stress...

I’d imagine with the state of our union, there may be Tank deals out there!
Yeah, I’m future planning. I have a tank being built right now (400 gallon). Looking like Mid-May if they don’t have any set backs with things going. Just thinking about what might go in in a few months

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Yeah, I’m future planning. I have a tank being built right now (400 gallon). Looking like Mid-May if they don’t have any set backs with things going. Just thinking about what might go in in a few months
Hold them to their timeline, don’t pay entirely until delivery if possible. Got my tank yesterday after paying in 11/19....

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
The jardini most probably a no because in florida all aros besides silvers are illegal and the three pies you want are pretty expensive so i would perosonally put them by themselves and the water would probably try to eat the other fish and i would go with the ornate bicher because its not that rare and it looks pretty nice also another kelibire peacock and the clown knife and the datnoid too for a safe bet.

Reactions: gatormfk

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
The jardini most probably a no because in florida all aros besides silvers are illegal and the three pies you want are pretty expensive so i would perosonally put them by themselves and the water would probably try to eat the other fish and i would go with the ornate bicher because its not that rare and it looks pretty nice also another kelibire peacock and the clown knife and the datnoid too for a safe bet.
I hadn’t heard of Jardini being illegal in FL. Couple LFS have them for sale (though Predatory Fins is more of a national/international brand than an LFS).

My son is all about the water cow but I’m with you, too dangerous to the other stock for not enough action.

Piles are really my biggest question I guess. I hear the Zebrina is the safest bet but also (by far) the most expensive. A know a Lenticulata is only around $100-150 so not terrible but not sure if they would grow to a decent enough size or have the temperament to be in a community monster tank

Reactions: Backfromthedead

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
I hadn’t heard of Jardini being illegal in FL. Couple LFS have them for sale (though Predatory Fins is more of a national/international brand than an LFS).

My son is all about the water cow but I’m with you, too dangerous to the other stock for not enough action.

Piles are really my biggest question I guess. I hear the Zebrina is the safest bet but also (by far) the most expensive. A know a Lenticulata is only around $100-150 so not terrible but not sure if they would grow to a decent enough size or have the temperament to be in a community monster tank
Yeah i surprized my self too about the jardini i wanted to get one for my birthday because i thought it looked cool but i went threw the laws and permits for florida and every arowana besides silvers are illegal to own without a permit and i would have gotten the permit but im too young to get one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store