Condensation inside Heater....

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
918
1
16
Earth
I have a 300w Jager heater that has some condensation inside the top of the heater.
I wated to know if this is a warning sign or is it O.K?
I have noticed this with cheaper heaters but not in my Jagers before.
Does anyone have any ideas about if this is good or not??
 

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
918
1
16
Earth
I need a bit more info, how did it die?
How do you know it was the heater?
Was it an Electrical fault, did the heater explode, did you get a shock also??
 

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
888
2
48
Austin, Texas
I have had a heater that had condensation in it, and it started to malfunction. It didn't seem to heat up the water as much and when I tested the temp with my digital meat thermometer, it was in fact cooler that the setting. Nothing happened to my fish, but that was due to me being a paranoid fish owner, and went and got a new one. I wouldn't want to chance my fish being hurt from it exploding, shorting out my socket/ power strip. I dont know if a fish could get electrocuted, because (anyone please correct me, as I am NO electrician) if there is no grounding.... but at the same time I have been shocked my an electrical current in my tank, yet the fish were fine.
 

MPLSdunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
236
0
0
Minneapolis
i don't know how he died. i'm guessing he got shocked, i just heard him bang of the cover of the tank. he was laying at the bottom for a few days and died. i would just get a new one. it's not worth it.
 

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
1,724
1
36
New York
For what it's worth, I have a visi-therm deluxe that has been like that for years and still keeps a stable temp. No fish deaths yet.
 

Toby_H

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
4,103
107
81
Charlotte, NC
I've had a few glass thermometers have condensation on the inside... it always made me nervous about them... I've had some fail shortly after getting condensation on the inside... and some work just fine well after it appeared...

It is exceptionally unlikely that the water from your fish tank is grouded... and unless it's grounded the fish won't be shocked (even if it is it's possible they won't be shocked)... but when you put your hands in the water you may get shocked (if it is allowing stray current into the water, which condensation is not necessarily a sign of).
 

Cholly

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
580
5
16
Metro Atlanta
Usually it's a sign that it's time to replace it or send to the factory for service IF you kept the receipt, and it's still under warranty. Some are lifetime.
 

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
6,742
1,233
1,453
USA
Howdy,

I have the same heaters with the same observation. I contacted Eheim (manufacturer). It is oil that is used during production. Due to the heat it accumulates in the upper part of the heater and then condensates on the inside of the glass. There is no reason at all to be concerned.

HarleyK
 
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store