Conditions and advises for Hoplias curupira

Zigermandli

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Hey there

I am going to have my first Hoplias in stock. Ist a curupira currently aprox. 8".

The idea is to put him at first alone in a 80G Tank with a big Root and very low lighting for growing up. Maybe i try to add 40-60 Neon Tetras after a certain time. What you guys think about very small Tankmates ? Just feeding the Wolf or it will be not interested in such small bites ?

Any other advises or something i need to know ?

Thanks a lot

Thomas

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hey there

I am going to have my first Hoplias in stock. Ist a curupira currently aprox. 8".

The idea is to put him at first alone in a 80G Tank with a big Root and very low lighting for growing up. Maybe i try to add 40-60 Neon Tetras after a certain time. What you guys think about very small Tankmates ? Just feeding the Wolf or it will be not interested in such small bites ?

Any other advises or something i need to know ?

Thanks a lot

Thomas
It’ll probably eat the neons. Large adults may leave them alone. Sounds like a nice setup. Keep the tank openings covered.

tvbbnumber41

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Over the rainbow
It depends on the fish. I have a lac that wont touch feeders bc it was never fed it all. However, given that you are getting a fish at 8 inches presumably wild caught it will probably eat the neons. Best bet would be to try when it's bigger maybe around a foot, but that will take some time. Good luck!

Reactions: tlindsey

Zigermandli

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
tvbbnumber41 tvbbnumber41 and kno4te kno4te thanks ! I will decide after acclimatisation and a stable feeding procedure if i i will take the risk to add tetras.

i'll set up the Tank by this week an show you guy's some pics

Another question i have is about the Temperature and current:
Should i use a streampump for a moderate Waterflow or just the Filtration ? And how big ist the Temperature acceptance about Little colder conditions with about 22-24°C ? Does the Temperature have any influence of the behaviour or activity of the Wolf ?

regards Thomas

Reactions: tlindsey

tvbbnumber41

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Over the rainbow
tvbbnumber41 tvbbnumber41 and kno4te kno4te thanks ! I will decide after acclimatisation and a stable feeding procedure if i i will take the risk to add tetras.

i'll set up the Tank by this week an show you guy's some pics

Another question i have is about the Temperature and current:
Should i use a streampump for a moderate Waterflow or just the Filtration ?
In my experience and what I read about them they prefer flow so a pump might not be bad idea but it's not critical I would say. What is your filtration as of now? Also, I kept my tank around 78. Once you get into low 80s I noticed with my curupira started to get a lot more aggressive and active which I personally didnt like lol. But as far as activity it also heavily depends on the personality of the wolf. Hope this helps

Zigermandli

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
got my curupira last weekend :woot:

Saw it once since Friday :grinyes: but also the curupira started already to eat on Saturday. Didn't show off, but the Sardina was disappeared on Sunday morning.

IMG_5724.JPG

Tank shots coming soon

Regards Thomas

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store