Conflicting info

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Dimilin X is safe and highly effective against anchor worms, which are not worms but crustaceans, so Dimilin X kill some other parasitic crustaceans too.

Josh of Ohio Fish Rescue taught me about Dimilin X. He uses it ALWAYS and I now do too when we have anchor worm infestation, which though happens rarely.

I see no reason whatsoever to reinvent the wheel, when Dimilin X is so excellent, used per label. Josh and us have huge volumes if water to treat, tens of thousands of gallons, so we buy Dimilin X in half-gallon jugs.

If you need a little and can't afford it (you can find it easily as DrownedFish showed), come over and I will give you some.

Yes, salt may kill them too, but depending on the extent and age of the infestation, one may need a long and even repeated treatment and high salt concentration that will endanger the fish being treated too. I see no sensible reason to resort to salt.

Also, many LFS run copper constantly in their saltwater fish section and the fish look great until you bring them home.
Yup. Precisely. Good now, damaged inside, a bodybuilder on steroids. The worst case scenario for a consumer - buying a lemon having no ability ever to know it. Fish kicks the bucket. You think your fault - drive yourself nuts troubleshooting, experimenting, correcting... Go back to the LFS to buy more. Rinse. Repeat. The picture is glorious!

Last edited:

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Dimilin X is safe and highly effective against anchor worms, which are not worms but crustaceans, so Dimilin X kill some other parasitic crustaceans too.

Josh of Ohio Fish Rescue taught me about Dimilin X. He uses it ALWAYS and I now do too when we have anchor worm infestation, which though happens rarely.

I see no reason whatsoever to reinvent the wheel, when Dimilin X is so excellent, used per label. Josh and us have huge volumes if water to treat, tens of thousands of gallons, so we buy Dimilin X in half-gallon jugs.

If you need a little and can't afford it (you can find it easily as DrownedFish showed), come over and I will give you some.

Yes, salt may kill them too, but depending on the extent and age of the infestation, one may need a long and even repeated treatment and high salt concentration that will endanger the fish being treated too. I see no sensible reason to resort to salt.

Yup. Precisely. Good now, damaged inside, a bodybuilder on steroids. The worst case scenario for a consumer - buying a lemon having no ability ever to know it. Fish kicks the bucket. You think your fault - drive yourself nuts troubleshooting, experimenting, correcting... Go back to the LFS to buy more. Rinse. Repeat. The picture is glorious!

Yep, I used to go nuts trying to figure out what happened to my flame angels or other reef fish only to find out about copper. It was actually a friend who owns an LFS that told me about it.

Will try Dimilin X next time because I did have to use an excessive amount of salt to get a response. It is hard to find Dimilin in small amounts though as all the bottles were for ponds.

Hope the OP fixed his anchor worm issue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store