Conflicting information on tank mates

ggTL98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2017
Hi all, I have been trying to find a tank mate for my Ray's.

I wanted something that gets to a good size like discus, shoals well like discus, and has nice colour like discus.
The problem is I dont want discus due to seeing multiple threads on them picking out Ray's eyes/biting tails etc.

So discus were struck off my list.

But I then have seen people reccomend discus in with Ray's so this information is rather conflicting.

Has any one on here kept discus and Ray's together for good periods of time without issue? By this I mean over 12 months.

I know all fish can be hit and miss but I want to guage a decision on experience not hear say.

(Btw I dont like silver dollars)

ReApEr666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
u'll prob. need something larger than discus.... Rays will eat anything and everything. i suggest something cheap you dont mind losing from time to time. In a ray tank, anything is fair game and on their menue. Some rays are worse than others for eating fish but its only natural.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
u'll prob. need something larger than discus.... Rays will eat anything and everything. i suggest something cheap you dont mind losing from time to time. In a ray tank, anything is fair game and on their menue. Some rays are worse than others for eating fish but its only natural.
Everything is fair game for rays as you stated.

ggTL98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2017
Thanks for the replys so far, but you have all answered the question the wrong way around.

I understand and accept that a discus may be lost to a ray, but what I'm after is information on the discus harming the ray.

Its probably just trial and error so will just give it a go.

Cheers

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for the replys so far, but you have all answered the question the wrong way around.

I understand and accept that a discus may be lost to a ray, but what I'm after is information on the discus harming the ray.

Its probably just trial and error so will just give it a go.

Cheers
Ive never heard of discus harming a ray. I know for a fact that ghe guy that made the video i posted used to keep discus with pupa when his adult rays did breed.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
MariaS MariaS what was your experience with this. I think I read about this a while back

ggTL98

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2017
Ive never heard of discus harming a ray. I know for a fact that ghe guy that made the video i posted used to keep discus with pupa when his adult rays did breed.
I have read a fair bit around keeping the two species together and have read a fair bit about discus picking at Ray's eyes and tails and even causing death.

I'm trying to guage if this is an unusual thing that discus do or over a period of time it becomes a common problem.

Most people will normally post negative findings rather then positive.

Thanks for your input so far mate

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
I have personally seen a blind ray that was then to be sold cheap to a staff member because they put discus in the tank who ate its eyes leaving the stingray blind but able to carry on.
Also the stingrays will pin and eat the discus. I have personally seen and experienced rays pinn8ng and/or killing large fish... larger than you would think.

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Tin foil are the best, not best for colour although they have a lovely sheen to the silver on them. Great scrap cleaners too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store