congo puffer tankmate?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Your Congo will not appreciate the salt, neither will the pleco. It will cause osmotic pressure on it's organs,k making it very uncomfortable.

Most carnage happens at night, after the puffer gets comfortable with it's surroundings.

jus85411

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
nowhere
its such a low amount of salt that my in tank hydrometer doesnt even read it. i was changing stuff around in my tank and after i removed a decent size ornament my water level was able to be seen past the top of the tank frame, which bothers me, so i had a container aside with Instant Ocean mixture dissolving and aerating for when i was doing more brackish water(previous to mr congo). i would estimate i put like a gallon of salt water in there. i dont plan on putting more in because of the congo being FW. water change is scheduled for this weekend so im sure he will appreciate a full FW water change not slightly brackish. i have had him for almost a week. the crab, pleco and my other two puffers are fine, no one has fin damage. the only things that seem to have taken a hit since i put the congo in there are the ghost shrimp. they seem to have dwindled down a lot. last night was another night i watched the congo sitting like he was perched on this cave decoration i have then he was moving around among the other puffers before going down to bury in the sand. still isnt showing signs of aggressiveness. i like to sit there with all lights off but the fish tank and sit on my couch to watch them because they cant see me back there and i like seeing what fish do when they are not being watched.

jus85411

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
nowhere
i like everyones input and i dont want you people to think im one of those guys who just goes to a pet store for a new fish and just go "hes cool looking i want that one". i know i have to research everything and i do. it was just a spur the moment thing since they are hard to find around me with the intentions of moving the F8 with the GSP to a bigger tank and having the congo alone in a matter of two or three months.

jus85411

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
nowhere
INDK617;2916432; said:
im gonna agree, i started this post months ago and since ive long given up on finding tankmates. my congo is brutal.
was he more active in the tank at the pet store or was he just sitting at the bottom of the tank? i like to think that certain fish from a species could have the personality to live with other things even though the species in general isnt supposed to. i just have seen way too much with certain things living with things they arent supposed to with out killing one another. i have seen two male bettas living together without a tank divider before! blew my mind! it was an old friend of mine and he just thought it would be cool to watch them fight. they went at it for 2 mins and called it quits, then they seemed to be friends. if there hope for 2 male bettas living together theres hope that my congo wont snap in the next couple months and go on a killing spree of my other puffers.

INDK617

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2008
Portland, ME
i wish you good luck. but mine was sitting at the bottom at the store and didnt move once til the guy caught him for me. when i first bought him i was looking for like a catfish to eat off the bottom. i bought a banjo cat (thinking the puffer wouldnt bother with him) and it was fine for a while, then one morning i turned on the light and its head was caved in.

bruce19

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2023
Hey I see this was a long time ago but what was the out come of the congo puffer and his new found friends?

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Probably not good…….

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store