Congo River Basin Eels

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hello all,

I was wondering if you guys know eels from the Congo River Basin that would fit in a 55 g. I think this is just going to be my post for asking questions. It seems there are a ton, but very little information on them. Has anybody kept any of them personally?

Reactions: Deadeye

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
What do you want to know?
A smaller growing (6”) eel which like many are often kept singly simply because they bicker with each other. Never bred in captivity but thought to lay eggs in floating vegetation. To be kept in higher ph ranges and inhabits fast flowing waters.
Needs good quality water and whilst it likes flow, it also likes shade and Hidey holes.
Can keep groups if there are plenty of nooks and crannies to explore and break up territories.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Thank you F fisherman Dave. Do you have personal experience with them? would they be good in a group of three with semi-aggressive congo river basin fish? I would plant the tank more, and add some rocks for nooks and crannies. I would buy 8 more tetras, and 2 ABF's. The tank has fast flowing water because filter is placed on side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store