Congo Tetra Food?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hello, I feed my Congo tetras standard flake food, but I was wondering if I could switch it around. I use frozen brine shrimp as well as freeze-dried brine shrimp for them, but what other foods can I feed them? I have a mealworm colony, could I try a live mealworm? Maybe veggies? What do you think?

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Mealworms would be fun.
I don’t think tetras are really picky, as long as it is fish safe they will enjoy it. Whatever keeps them well fed enough to avoid sparky’s fins!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I feed Omega1 Cichlid flakes, Fluval Bug Bites for small to medium fish, and Freeze Dried Mysis Shrimp. The Congo Tetra will even try to eat sinking pellet's for the Corydora lol. I agree with Deadeye Deadeye most Tetra will try to eat anything.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My Buenos are eating cichlid gold and tetra min flakes. They will also go for bloodworms and brown shrimp when I feed that. I tried a cricket once and they went for a leg or two, but really nobody touched it.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
My go to food for fish that smaller is Hikari Discus Bio-gold (until it is finished), and then moving on to a staple like NLS Algaemax & Northfin Community.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I need to get some algaemax for the corys. I am going to try live mealworms, and maybe something like chopped nightcrawlers (?).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store