Southern California (San Diego)
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
Less than 10
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
81-90%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello, 3/4 of my Congo Tetras arent eating and haven’t been for 5 days. They get fed standard flake food, and occasional brine shrimp treats. I haven’t noticed anything wrong with them. What could be causing this?

Tank Size: 55g
Tank Mates: One juvenile Delhezi Bichir

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
How long have you had them? What's the tank temp? Are they old enough to tell males from females?
From my many experiences with congo tetras they will usually eat just about anything anytime I feed but don't typically like when I feed flake food. All types of frozen is accepted readily. I've been feeding fluvial bug bites for the last couple of years they go nuts for the color enhancing blend, actually all my fish love that. It's funny to watch my big polys scarfing up those little pellets.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
How long have you had them?
I’ve had some...problems...with Congo tetras. In total, I‘ve bought 15. I bought 5 about 8 months ago. Unfortunately, 4 of them were males. Once they got big, they harassed each other all the time. They harassed each other to the point where the fins were no more. They would fall to the ground, unable to swim, and get eaten by my delhezi. this happened over and over again, and I’ve tried to get mostly females, but the store doesn’t have females that often, or they only have 1” ones. So, I’ve had 1, the smallest of the bunch, a female, around 4 months, and, 3 large males for around 3 months, What I’ve noticed is that when more were added to the group, they don’t like it.

What's the tank temp?
In the summer, some MFKers suggested to lower the heat. I had previously lowered it down to around 76-74. I did that a little While ago. I lowered it because I live in SoCal, and it is 80-90 in the day, and 75-80 at night.
Are they old enough to tell males from females?
1 female 3 males.
From my many experiences with congo tetras they will usually eat just about anything anytime I feed but don't typically like when I feed flake food.
Mine usually do, so I thought it was odd the first day that they didn’t accept their flakes. Then I started to worry the second day that they didn’t accept the flakes. Actually, come to think of it, the little female eats just a tiny bit. But afterwards, they didn’t accept brine shrimp (the female accepted a few little ones)
I've been feeding fluvial bug bites for the last couple of years they go nuts for the color enhancing blend, actually all my fish love that. It's funny to watch my big polys scarfing up those little pellets.
Do you suggest I get this kind of food?

Something I noticed in one of my males just today is listing to the right side. I’m not sure why. I did a wc a few days ago, so the ammonia and nitrite are at 0, and Nitate at around 5.

edit: I went to a friends house to watch the fights yesterday, and he has a 75g with some bottom dwellers, and a large school of Congo tetras. Around 12 of them, 2 Albino. But EVERY SINGLE ONE happens to be a male, and he has never seen them fight the way mine do. I’ve tried getting a larger school, but every time, they don’t like additions.

edit edit: Come to think of it, I removed a very large decoration about when They started not eating. Maybe the day before,

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I've always kept them in schools of 6+ and had a majority of them males and also more "proper" mixes, no issues with aggression. What size tank?
Is the del big enough to be damaging them while night hunting? I've not kept them with polys, well that's not completely true I tried to add a group of large ones to my 180 when I had my teugs and lost 1 of the albinos to a teug immediately. They basically jumped back in the net to get out of there. Might be stress related to the del. I've had mixed experiences with their timidness when messing around in the tank, some wouldn't act right for a couple days after and some could care less.

Edit
I've had 4 yellow congo tetras in my 75 for a little over a year 3m 1f. I just added 4 more no issue accepting the new adds.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I've always kept them in schools of 6+ and had a majority of them males and also more "proper" mixes, no issues with aggression. What size tank?
Is the del big enough to be damaging them while night hunting? I've not kept them with polys, well that's not completely true I tried to add a group of large ones to my 180 when I had my teugs and lost 1 of the albinos to a teug immediately. They basically jumped back in the net to get out of there. Might be stress related to the del. I've had mixed experiences with their timidness when messing around in the tank, some wouldn't act right for a couple days after and some could care less.

Edit
I've had 4 yellow congo tetras in my 75 for a little over a year 3m 1f. I just added 4 more no issue accepting the new adds.
It could be del related. I’ve never seen him aggressive towards them, even when the Congo’s are sleeping. The lights have been off because of black beard algae for around A week, and I only turn it on for a few hours a day.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
It could be del related. I’ve never seen him aggressive towards them, even when the Congo’s are sleeping. The lights have been off because of black beard algae for around A week, and I only turn it on for a few hours a day.
That may be the reason they are not eating. Regardless of what people say some fish need a day night cycle.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Changes to the environment. Got it. I’ll put the day/night circulation on track. I‘ve been wanting to change decor into rocks and driftwood anyway, so bba would be fine.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store