Constipated Bichir?

Evie Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hi,
I have a 1 year old dinosaur bichir in a 75 gallon tank by himself. He hasn’t been eating very much the past few days. It looks like he may be constipated and unable to have a bowel movement. He has some poop sticking out of his bottom that has turned black. His poop is usually red which is why I’m concerned.I feed him shrimp wafers, but as he gets bigger I wanted to transition him to something healthier. I’m going to not feed him for a couple days to see if he can pass it on his own. If he doesn’t, does anyone have any advice on how to help him? I tested the water, cleaned his tank and filter so that’s not the issue. Is it possible he ingested gravel or a pellet that was to big? I’m worried about him. Thanks, Evie.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could have ingested gravel if that’s ur substrate. Would post a pic for now. Let it fast a few days and will see.

Evie Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2019
I agree with kno4te kno4te but would like to add sand as substrate would be the best for Polypterus. I personally changed all but 1 aquarium with gravel replaced with sand.
Yes I agree with you. I spoke to my boyfriend and we will be taking all the gravel out of the aquarium. A little nervous to do this because I’ve never drained the entire aquarium or taken him out of it. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: tlindsey

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yes I agree with you. I spoke to my boyfriend and we will be taking all the gravel out of the aquarium. A little nervous to do this because I’ve never drained the entire aquarium or taken him out of it. Thanks for the reply.
Btw you know you don't have to drain the tank to remove the gravel right? You can just scoop it out with out removing the water or the fish.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That’s a relief. TY
Lol np, just be warned the tank is probably gonna be extremely dirty looking for the next few hours but it's worth it.
O also when ya go to add sand to the tank make certain to soak the sand in a bucket of tank water (not tap) first so it doesn't all float and cloud the water as much, and make certain ya only have an inch of sand at the bottom of the tank at most, otherwise ya run the risk of ammonia pockets forming in the sand, preferably do half an inch layer at the bottom. It's always better to have less sand then more.

Reactions: tlindsey

Evie Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2019
Lol np, just be warned the tank is probably gonna be extremely dirty looking for the next few hours but it's worth it.
O also when ya go to add sand to the tank make certain to soak the sand in a bucket of tank water (not tap) first so it doesn't all float and cloud the water as much, and make certain ya only have an inch of sand at the bottom of the tank at most, otherwise ya run the risk of ammonia pockets forming in the sand, preferably do half an inch layer at the bottom. It's always better to have less sand then more.

Evie Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2019
Ok, will do. I’ve never used sand in any of my tanks so I appreciate the advice. ?Bichir’s are the best and I will be bummed if I lose him. When he’s full grown should I upgrade him to a bigger tank or do you think 75 gallons in enough?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store