Contemplating setting up a small tank in an unheated garage

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
I have a spare 40 gallon breeder that I'd like to set up in my unheated garage. Winters in Connecticut can be brutal but I do have a bunch of working 200 and 300 watt heaters. First, do you guys think 2 300 watt heaters keep a 40 gallon tank warm enough in a cold garage and secondly what fish do you think would work in a 40 gallon set up? I would prefer a male and female cichlid breeding pair.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Cichlids from Uruguay of the genus Gymnogeophagus, and Australoheros might do really well in a garage tank that cools down quite a bit in winter, and hets up a lot in summer. I would keep mine in a pond in summer in Wisconsin, then move them to an unheated basement in winter where water temps hit 50 and below.
Gymnogeophagus sp Rio Yerbalito

Gymnogeophagus sp Paso Pache

These also grow to a size where a 40 breeder would actually be OK.
Below Australoheros sp Red Ceibal, some Australoheros get a little large for a 40 breeder though
First in norma color

now spawning colors

In winter they were put in a kiddy pool in my unheated basement, with koi and water lilies because my ponds would freeze solid 3 ft into the ground

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Those heaters will be on 24/7 good luck with the electric bill.

Luckily I pay one flat rate per month for electricity so no matter how much I use or don't use the bill is always the same. Central AC stays on most of the Summer lol.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Cichlids from Uruguay of the genus Gymnogeophagus, and Australoheros might do really well in a garage tank that cools down quite a bit in winter, and hets up a lot in summer. I would keep mine in a pond in summer in Wisconsin, then move them to an unheated basement in winter where water temps hit 50 and below.
Gymnogeophagus sp Rio Yerbalito

Gymnogeophagus sp Paso Pache

These also grow to a size where a 40 breeder would actually be OK.
Below Australoheros sp Red Ceibal, some Australoheros get a little large for a 40 breeder though
First in norma color

now spawning colors

In winter they were put in a kiddy pool in my unheated basement, with koi and water lilies because my ponds would freeze solid 3 ft into the ground

Thanks for the suggestion and pics, those are quite nice. Definitely will consider those.

Reactions: tlindsey

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I have a spare 40 gallon breeder that I'd like to set up in my unheated garage. Winters in Connecticut can be brutal but I do have a bunch of working 200 and 300 watt heaters. First, do you guys think 2 300 watt heaters keep a 40 gallon tank warm enough in a cold garage and secondly what fish do you think would work in a 40 gallon set up? I would prefer a male and female cichlid breeding pair.
It won't be pretty, but you can cut foam sheeting and put it on the sides and back when it gets cold. And if you have it sitting on foam bonus, bonus. Just try to insulate it as much as possible. Just do it during the cold of winter. Make it easy to put on and take off. Just a thought.

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I am wanting to make a 1,000 plywood tank to put out in my shop. I want to grow out my Tilapia in it. My concern was that it would get too cold and cost too much to keep above 56 degrees. I figured I would have to insulate it with 2" foam, which I have a lot of.

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
I am wanting to make a 1,000 plywood tank to put out in my shop. I want to grow out my Tilapia in it. My concern was that it would get too cold and cost too much to keep above 56 degrees. I figured I would have to insulate it with 2" foam, which I have a lot of.
Great suggestion

Reactions: tlindsey

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Alright where do I sign up? Electric Bill kills me. Lol

I would just call your electric company and inquire. I've been on this plan for about 2 years now and would never go back to a month to month bill. Prior to the flat rate plan I was paying well over 600 a month in the summer with cooling costs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store