Converting Uniquarium from Bioballs to K1

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
I'm thinking about buying a Uniquarium or Tank with an internal wet/dry filter. I already have a surplus of K1 media. Has anyone converted their internal filter to K1 before? This is in the theoretical phase for me since I don't have the tank yet. Hoping to hear from someone who has done this before.

Thanks!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I'm thinking about buying a Uniquarium or Tank with an internal wet/dry filter. I already have a surplus of K1 media. Has anyone converted their internal filter to K1 before? This is in the theoretical phase for me since I don't have the tank yet. Hoping to hear from someone who has done this before.

Thanks!
I have two cubic feet running inside overflow towers. Love it. There are a few kinks to work out. Happy to help though.
85305BD0-FB6A-4EBE-9562-05943975FABE.jpeg

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I replaced the bio balls in my Seaclear System II (internal wet/dry) with Bioflow 9 media. It's static and most isn't submerged. Water parameters seem to be better than with bio balls.

Internal wet/dry filters are a PITA and often undersized. The day I replace this tank will be one of the happiest days of my life.

Reactions: knobhill

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
So is this in place of a sump and now your primary filtration?
No its supplemental to the below. If I decide to slack on on backwashes it’s insurance. Also I wanted to see if I could do it and work out the kinks in case it helps others. Always wanted to try.

You have any specific questions I can help with?

9FC9BFCA-EAC9-486A-9600-8541216CD8E9.jpeg

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Well, I guess I am wondering on how exactly to change the bioball compartment to a fluidized bed.

Also, is there enough capacity in the chamber for the amount of k1 media needed to handle the bio load. I’m not sure about stock but probably conservative. Size Tank would be between 150g-300g. Size of chamber??? Idk yet.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Well, I guess I am wondering on how exactly to change the bioball compartment to a fluidized bed.

Also, is there enough capacity in the chamber for the amount of k1 media needed to handle the bio load. I’m not sure about stock but probably conservative. Size Tank would be between 150g-300g. Size of chamber??? Idk yet.

The only way to be truly sure is to get a measurement of the inner chamber, convert to cubic feet and back you way into how much K1 would fit. Then calculate if that volume of K1 would keep up with your stock. Keep in mind everybody overfilters. We don’t need the amount most of us use.

You’ll need a pump. Cheap Jaebo would probably be fine because there is no head. Use air to run the K1. I use alita air pumps. They are spendy but far superior to anything out there. A single AL40 model would be more than enough for the K1 to boil hard and run any and all air accessories. If you’re on a budget a poerhead will boil K1 as well.

Reactions: knobhill
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store