Convict very dull help

icecube

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
INDIA
I have a convict that has been in the tank for about 4 years.
Just yesterday i performed a water change.The convict has become very dull.it is lying on one of its sides and is not coming up for food.i moved it to a quarantine tank but its just the same condition.what should i do to get him well again?

thefishguy7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
Are there any extra things that you added to the water during your water change that you normally don't? Anything that you didn't put in this time?

What's your water change schedule?

icecube

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
INDIA
i perform a 5% water change weekly and a 50% waterchange once a month.
My convict became very dull after the 50% water change.
I dont know any apparent reason.idont use anything extra except water.

davidefc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Liverpool UK
you dont use something to get the clorine out of the water and other nastys? well i would go out and but some from a lfs, add airation to help get the clorine out quicker.

thefishguy7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
icecube;1519538; said:
i perform a 5% water change weekly and a 50% waterchange once a month.
My convict became very dull after the 50% water change.
I dont know any apparent reason.idont use anything extra except water.
I'd recommend using some kind of water dechlorinater like stress coat. Your water company might change and you might end up with chlorine and who knows what else in your water.
I'd also recommend changing you water change schedule to 25% every week. (I do 33% 2 times a week or even more volume)

I don't think there is anything that clean, fresh water can't fix.

davidefc;1520876; said:
you dont use something to get the clorine out of the water and other nastys? well i would go out and but some from a lfs, add airation to help get the clorine out quicker.
Good ideas.
I'd also add some aquarium salt, bump up the temp. a little and keep the lights off for a couple of days. Try not to look or disturb the fish much either. (except for water changes)

icecube

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
INDIA
i use dechlorinated water.
none of the other fishes got affected except this beautiful lunker.
well i dont wanna say it,but my first tank fish,my lovely convict passed away.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Im so sorry for your loss.. Since youve had him for 4 years its probably not the cause of death, but I would definately suggest you change 25 or more % per week, 5% doesnt do too much. 30% per week without the 50 once a month would be a good schedule.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store