Convicts have laid eggs.. but are they both Female? or even convicts?

TangoWRX

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2009
Jersey UK
Hi Guys,

OK so I have a tank with two convicts, they regularly lay eggs which fail. They display strong breeding behaviour and show no aggression to each other. They both will tend to the eggs and swap over being on fanning duty.
The thing.. I am not convinced they are a male/female pair.

-The eggs will be fanned for 3 to 4 days and then get eaten - I have looked for wigglers
-I have tried looking for white eggs, you see a couple at first but after 3 days they all go cloudy in colour.
-In the video (I hope you can see) both fish have a large breeding tube showing. Do males show anything?
-Neither Convict has any red on the belly. They also show a lot of blue/green which makes me think they could be a hybrid!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi Guys,

OK so I have a tank with two convicts, they regularly lay eggs which fail. They display strong breeding behaviour and show no aggression to each other. They both will tend to the eggs and swap over being on fanning duty.
The thing.. I am not convinced they are a male/female pair.

-The eggs will be fanned for 3 to 4 days and then get eaten - I have looked for wigglers
-I have tried looking for white eggs, you see a couple at first but after 3 days they all go cloudy in colour.
-In the video (I hope you can see) both fish have a large breeding tube showing. Do males show anything?
-Neither Convict has any red on the belly. They also show a lot of blue/green which makes me think they could be a hybrid!

It's a possibility they could both female and Convict female normally has red showing . Also female will lay eggs sometimes without a male present. Possibly can be both m/f and they are new parents and haven't figured it out yet. Are any of the eggs Amber colored if so they would be fertilized.

Last edited:

TangoWRX

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2009
Jersey UK
It's a possibility they could both female and Convict female normally has red showing . Also female will lay eggs sometimes without a male present. Possibly can be both m/f and they are new parents and haven't figured it out yet. Are any of the eggs Amber colored if so they would be fertilized.
thanks for your reply.

They have definitely paired off and neither have a red belly (which confuses me). The eggs are a tan colour for a few days, the odd white egg will appear, then nothing.

I have always been confused how long an egg takes to turn white if it is not fertilized.
What does a male breeding tube look like, how big compared to a female?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
thanks for your reply.

They have definitely paired off and neither have a red belly (which confuses me). The eggs are a tan colour for a few days, the odd white egg will appear, then nothing.

I have always been confused how long an egg takes to turn white if it is not fertilized.
What does a male breeding tube look like, how big compared to a female?

Unfertilzed eggs won't remain amber for a few days. The males tube will be more pointed.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Those are females for sure, both are convicts. Lesbian couple. They will probably guard the eggs until they all turn white then eat them. Pretty common behavior. The males tube is a pointy spike, not as big or noticeable as the females.

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

TangoWRX

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2009
Jersey UK
Pic of eggs 24 hours later. There are a few whites ones, but surely they would all go white if not fertile?

6964DCEF-5221-4834-8AAF-50BF7609CB3B.jpeg

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I agree they look like Honduran Red Points. With these both have "red bellies" the females tho will be a lot more intense.

Here are my pair. Got to wiggelers in thier first batch. Hopefully next turns out better.20180509_194553.jpg
This is the male20180509_194152.jpg
Female, hard to see but her belly is a lot more "red" than the males.
A short mating dance video

20180509_194433.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store