Cooking a fish from your aquarium

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I’m sure most fish are edible, except maybe puffers and even those are eaten by some.

However, most fish medications and chemicals that we use to raise our aquarium fish say on the label that they are “for ornamental fish only,” not for aquaculture. There are also feeds that are specifically manufactured for food fish vs ornamental fish

This would lead me to think that it could potentially be harmful to eat fish raised in aquariums…whether we dispatched them or waited for them to die of old age or disease before eating them

Reactions: deeda

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Interesting discussion ?. I am also curious about south/central american cichlids. They get fairly big and bulky lol
duanes duanes would be the man for this question, I believe he has eaten a fair few himself. Considering how large they get the are most likely going to be eaten by the locals. As I stated previously Peacock Bass and Tilapia taste amazing and I think I was served JD at an asian food stall when I was in northern NSW, However these are the only Cichlids I have eaten personally.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
duanes duanes would be the man for this question, I believe he has eaten a fair few himself. Considering how large they get the are most likely going to be eaten by the locals. As I stated previously Peacock Bass and Tilapia taste amazing and I think I was served JD at an asian food stall when I was in northern NSW, However these are the only Cichlids I have eaten personally.
So do you guys have these cichlids commonly available in NSW / other parts of Australia ? I have heard rules are pretty strict about aquarium pets

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
So do you guys have these cichlids commonly available in NSW / other parts of Australia ? I have heard rules are pretty strict about aquarium pets
Yep very strict, there is a breeding population of JDs in Northern NSW and peacock bass have been recorded in Mackay. Tilapia is invasive in Queensland and the only way to bring them into Australia is dead for food. Most cichlids are in Australia.

Banned cichlids in NSW off the top of my head are are:
tilapia except butterkoferi
emperor cichlid
Banded jewel cichlid

Jaguar cichlids are banned in QLD

Reactions: HumanBean

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
However, most fish medications and chemicals that we use to raise our aquarium fish say on the label that they are “for ornamental fish only,” not for aquaculture. There are also feeds that are specifically manufactured for food fish vs ornamental fi
This is one of the reasons I only use salt as a medication, and refrain from any random chemical additions.

Reactions: HumanBean

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
In my early days of hobby I used mila/pima fixes and salt. Realised that other than salt nothing is useful.
Also here I have never seen antibiotics being sold in pet stores.

So salt in only option.
So I guess fish is already marinated in brine lol

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I ate a large Pacu once. Waste of time as it was so full of little bones. It was surrendered to the lfs I worked for and promptly killed a frontosa. Judgement and sentencing took about 30sec.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Just depends on how you feel about your animals.
We used to raise pigs , chicken, cows , rabbits and goats.
These were food not pets.

I couldn’t eat my fish no more then I could my dog.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store