Cool Article: Bare tanks vs Enriched Environments (entertaining fish to improve survival)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Very interesting, I must keep this in mind for my aquaculture plans one day.

I prefer to keep my tanks well planted and decorated, even if BB I try and put in some decor

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Very interesting . I personally agree most species of fish are intelligent and so learn to adapt. For example although my Senegal Bichir would spawn and scatter the eggs on the substrate I would place Java Moss in the aquarium and observe, The female will choose the plant or spawning mop every time so thinking and making the best decision for their fry to survive was evident. Thanks for sharing :D

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Kind of reinforces my belief that fish should have always have a decorated tank over a bare one...

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Lol, for this reason I always feel bad for Discus I always see in bb sterile tanks. Often they are the picture of health, but zero stimulation :( I always keep some type of decor.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Interesting. I kind of assumed it would be true - I have had dull fish color up when decor or other fish were added, and has anyone ever kept a pleco that didn't have a cave? I doubt silver dollars appreciate decor much, maybe powerheads count as decor for them?
The change in water movement and level was a supprise, though. I wonder how you would go about setting up a tank like that. Powerheads on timers? overflows below the waterline with solenoid valves attached to timers? I don't think varying water temperature is good. Does this mean I should periodically change my aquascape?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Could you elaborate on the tennis balls? Lol
It's a long story.

Before I upgraded my filtration to a sump, I had two 2215s running on my 210. The heaters were hanging by the cord because the suction cups were cheap and stopped working, and I also had two airstones.

Whenever the Blood Parrot got bored, she would play with anything she could move. Usually this was the air stone or the heater. Most of the time this happened while I was gone, but I never saw any damage on the heaters/airstones so I thought nothing of it.

I left to go pick up a few things for the tank one night, and after returning, I noticed that she had moved the air stones around. This was nothing surprising, but where she left them was the issue. The Blood Parrot managed to wrap one of the airstones around the intake to one of my 2215s. While I was away, the filter sucked up just enough air for the pump to lose contact with the water. This caused the filter to iverheat, and the pump nearly burnt out.

To avoid this happening again, I bought 3 tennis balls for the Blood Parrot to roll around. I've also moved the heaters and the airstones to the sump.

Please excuse the grammar or any weird looking words. Samsung autocorrect is horrible.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
It's a long story.

Before I upgraded my filtration to a sump, I had two 2215s running on my 210. The heaters were hanging by the cord because the suction cups were cheap and stopped working, and I also had two airstones.

Whenever the Blood Parrot got bored, she would play with anything she could move. Usually this was the air stone or the heater. Most of the time this happened while I was gone, but I never saw any damage on the heaters/airstones so I thought nothing of it.

I left to go pick up a few things for the tank one night, and after returning, I noticed that she had moved the air stones around. This was nothing surprising, but where she left them was the issue. The Blood Parrot managed to wrap one of the airstones around the intake to one of my 2215s. While I was away, the filter sucked up just enough air for the pump to lose contact with the water. This caused the filter to iverheat, and the pump nearly burnt out.

To avoid this happening again, I bought 3 tennis balls for the Blood Parrot to roll around. I've also moved the heaters and the airstones to the sump.

Please excuse the grammar or any weird looking words. Samsung autocorrect is horrible.
That's awesome! You literally gave your fish a toy. Lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store