Cool herps most people have never heard of

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
I find myself getting more interested reptiles and amphibians lately, so i decided to start this thread to compliment the cool fish thread that was sadly deleted. In order to avoid that same fate here, i ask that you please refrain from posting about any potentially questionable activities here.

Now that that is out of the way, i'd like to start this off with a very cool and somewhat terrifying snake from Africa commonly known as the Stiletto snake.
unnamed (14).jpg
Stiletto snakes belong to the genus Atractaspis and they have certain characteristics which make them unique among snakes. The most obvious one is their fangs, which they are able to move independently of one another outside of their mouths. Their primary use is while hunting mice that coexist with them in their underground habitat. When they come across a burrow containing juvenile mice, they stick their fangs out either side of their mouth and swing their heads side to side, envenomating them all and wiping out an entire litter.
ee6deb2ed49e48989fb97fc61a1dc29a.jpg
This feature, along with their sharp, pointed tails, makes them nearly impossible to handle without getting bit, as they can manipulate their fangs to reach behind their head and inflict a bite on someone attempting to grab them this way. Given their underground lifestyle, however, bites are fairly rare and usually occur when they come to the surface following rain and people attempt to handle them having mistaken them for a non venomous snake. Their venom is cytotoxic and those who have ended up on the wrong side of it have suffered a number fatalities and amputations. There is currently no antivenom for a stiletto snake bite.
sei_56631478.jpg

What cool herps do you know of that most people have never heard of?

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
I am back with another post and today i would like to introduce you to Cylindrophis ruffus, a snake from southeast asia also known as the red tail pipe snake.417659.jpg
As you might imagine, this snake gets its common name from a bright orange or red spot on the end of its tail.download (15).jpeg
Similar to the Stiletto snake mentioned above, this snake spends most of its time burrowed underground. Unlike the Stiletto snake though, it is not known whether this species is venomous or not. This snake does not hunt by constricting, nor does it possess fangs to inject to venom. Rather, it hunts by aggressively chewing on it's prey. Given this and the large rictal gland it has, it is hypothesized that the red tail pipe snake does have venom and delivers venom to its prey in a manner similar to the Gila Monster or the Komodo Dragon. Like most snakes that primarily live underground, this animal has small eyes and poor vision. It's body is shaped similarly to many worm species and it's scales give off a rainbow like sheen under sunlight.images (38).jpeg0840.jpeg

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Time to update this thread and today i will be introducing you to Anolis Gorgonae, the Blue Anole. I suspect that most people have heard of Anole’s before, but this one is unique in being almost pure blue.B2F39C40-8E7B-42C7-BEB4-047998A1D502.jpeg

This species of Anole is found only on the island of Gorgona off the coast of Colombia, which is where it gets it’s scientific name. FB012778-4F9B-4BEB-A98C-2917DA9928B1.jpeg

Almost nothing is known about this animal, including it’s current population. It is known to be very reclusive and hard to find. It is believed to be at some risk of extinction due to habitat destruction, the introduction of numerous invasive species onto the island it calls home and illegal collection for the pet trade. Recently there have been discussions of setting up a captive breeding program for the animal. Let’s hope that these efforts are successful, because there is no other Anole and really no other lizard quite like the Blue Anole.A8C91BD8-78F6-423F-BD87-873C03F4F1B3.png

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Another day another herp. Today we are going to take a brief look at a genus of salamanders that lives in Mexico, Isthmura. There are seven recognized species and what these amphibians are known for is the striking red or orange stripes or blotches they have along their back. They can reach up to 12 inches (30cm) in length and are nocturnal. Their populations are declining due to unknown reasons.

Isthmura GiganteaBC78C76E-9F5A-498C-8664-52398BEA7D30.png
Isthmura Bellii41184D3C-6AF7-41A6-B206-A191AD7DD768.jpeg
Isthmura Naucampatepet3BA281F7-4E78-472C-A3AB-2F177DDDE991.jpeg
Isthmura BonetiB6089A9D-3631-49B2-8A39-52C304CE8148.jpeg

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
More cool herps, these ones belong to the genus Xenocalamus and are commonly referred to as quill nosed snakes.030328BA-CD39-406A-AAD7-A1CFE312A8F4.jpeg
These snakes are in the family Atractaspididae, which is the same family that the stiletto snakes listed above are in. There are five species in the genus. They are native to Africa and spend most of their lives underground.A99BD04E-258F-4E98-8E7B-0A254B5B35E3.jpeg
These snakes are venomous and their venom is delivered by two fangs in the back of their mouth. I was unable to find any information on the toxicity of their venom or any reports of people that had been bitten by them. These snakes seem to do well at staying hidden from humans.D7906561-5E8B-47D9-9D32-59E4648052B7.jpeg

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
That blue anole is amazing, now I’m gonna be up all night trying to find one online lol
Have you seen Chilean Dwarf tegus? Those are amazing, had one in the early 90s when they were common

• Haha
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
Leiocephalus carinatus "Curly Tailed Lizard" native to my home in the Cayman Islands. These lizards are not exactly shy and will even make themselves visible to persons walking by their lairs. There were at least a couple of these lizards I remember seeing frequently as I was growing up. I remember one always used to appear from the bushes on the side of my front door as I came home from school. I'd sometimes flip over some leaves and squash a couple of bugs and throw in at him, which he'd happily swallow and then go back to his bush. We used to call them 'Lion Lizards'. The adults are chunky and more solidly built than the lizard in the photo below.
curly-tailed-lizard.png

Last edited:

jason222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2023
The Stiletto snake, also known as the Spiny Bush Viper, is a venomous snake found in Africa. They are known for their unique appearance, with a short, stocky body and long, sharp spines on their head and back. They are also known for their bright colors and patterns, which can range from green, brown, and gray to yellow, orange, and red.

Stiletto snakes are arboreal and are found in a variety of habitats, including rainforests, forests, and savannas. They are typically active at night and are known to be aggressive when threatened.

Due to their venomous nature and aggressive behavior, Stiletto snakes are not recommended as pets for inexperienced reptile keepers. These snakes require proper care, housing, and a high level of knowledge about their behavior and care requirements. It's also important to obtain them from a reputable breeder, and not from wild caught individuals.

If you are considering keeping a Stiletto snake as a pet, it is essential to research their specific care requirements and to seek guidance from experienced reptile keepers and veterinarians. It's also important to have access to antivenom in case of an emergency.

It's also worth noting that many species of snakes are protected by law, and it's important to check the regulations in your area before acquiring one.

Supergeorge123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
It has been quite a while since there have been any new herps added here so today I am going to share with you a very pretty snake native to the central USA, Carphophis vermis.1000009413.jpg
This species is commonly known as the Western Wormsnake and it spends most of its life underground or underneath rock and leaf litter. It's lifestyle means that it is almost never seen in the open. In fact, even the scientists that had studied this snake only ever saw a single road killed specimen in the open.1000009412.jpg
This snake is nonvenomous and feeds exclusively on earthworms. They have been recorded to reach a maximum size of 11 inches or 27.5cm. They bury deep underground in the winter and usually only reemerge when the soil temperatures are more amenable to them, usually in March.1000009410.jpg
Overall, this is a very pretty, very rarely seen snake and a great addition to this cool herps thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store