Coolest mini monster ever? or just another tetra.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
So I found these sailfin tetras (Crenuchus spilurus) and they seem like the perfect mini monster. Dont get to big, mean look, not to pricey. HAs anyone here kept them? if so are they bold or more the typical cowardly tetra.
download (7).jpeg
Take a look at this monster!
download (6).jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My lfs always has these and I’ve almost pulled the trigger every time I go…
If exodons are piranhas in the form of tetras, these are the cichlids. They are supposedly highly territorial, and individuals will pick a rock and guard it. They still like groups like any other tetra.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have never owned them, and have seen them in stores only rarely.
They are in a separate subfamily (now perhaps family) within characins - CrenuchiDAE (family) or NAE (subfamily), but these too could be changing.
They are feisty and aggressive, but mostly among their own kind (males). They are predators of small insects and crustaceans and would relish live foods. They do look like monsters. but are not too bad. Beautiful and interesting fish!

tetroid

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
Salish Sea
I've been keeping them off and on for many years. They are one of those fish I always have to have around. Give them soft, acidic water and surface plants to block the light. They'll colour up a bit, but mostly it's their fins that get longer when they're doing well. They have huge maws for their size and will eat most anything, preferably from the surface or while it's sinking. They'll hit the surface pretty hard, too. They splash me regularly.

The males sometimes display to one another after eating, and it's impressive. They get along well once the hierarchy is worked out. For the most part, they just hang motionless in the water when they aren't eating. If you've ever kept their relative, poecilocharax weitzmani, the behavior is similar, but they don't tend to hide unless there are bigger fish around. It's best to keep them alone or with smaller, slow moving fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store