Could this become the beginning of the end to big box stores

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My wife told me a Petco near me was closing so went to see what was going on. Seen this when I stepped in the door. Fixtures for sale and everything was discounted. More people in the store than usual very sad. Sorry for the blurry pic. 20210417_113446.jpg

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
They closed Petco near me sometime last year. I only discovered that when I went to pick up cat food. :nilly:

There is a Pet Supplies Plus across the street that has been there longer so it's possible there was too much competition in the area.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
They closed Petco near me sometime last year. I only discovered that when I went to pick up cat food. :nilly:

There is a Pet Supplies Plus across the street that has been there longer so it's possible there was too much competition in the area.
That could very well been the issue there is a Petsuppliesplus a block from the closing Petco.

Reactions: Cich Mind

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Yeah, two Petco near me closed down last year. All I have near me me is two Petsmarts (their fish selection is abysmal at best). I think a lot of damage has been done to the Mom and Pop fish stores too, mainly because Petsmart is the Walmart of pet stores and caters to so many niches of the pet industry. They just carry more fish products too. Prices will vary, but it depends on what you're looking for. But when it comes down to the selection of fish and variety of fish Mom and Pops stores carries is almost always the way to go.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yeah, two Petco near me closed down last year. All I have near me me is two Petsmarts (their fish selection is abysmal at best). I think a lot of damage has been done to the Mom and Pop fish stores too, mainly because Petsmart is the Walmart of pet stores and caters to so many niches of the pet industry. They just carry more fish products too. Prices will vary, but it depends on what you're looking for. But when it comes down to the selection of fish and variety of fish Mom and Pops stores carries is almost always the way to go.
I absolutely agree about reputable private owned pet shop. They were focused more on the fish they sold not the dog grooming and dog and cat food.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Time to buy all the tanks you can and ask the wife for forgiveness later tlindsey tlindsey

I just found out my local petsmart wont be getting any 125’s in stock anymore according to one of the employees which absolutely sucks for me since I was going to use them to get 4 125’s and they’re the only place local that sells anything bigger than a 4 footer.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Time to buy all the tanks you can and ask the wife for forgiveness later tlindsey tlindsey

I just found out my local petsmart wont be getting any 125’s in stock anymore according to one of the employees which absolutely sucks for me since I was going to use them to get 4 125’s and they’re the only place local that sells anything bigger than a 4 footer.
Lol already took over the family room so no more aquariums. I was just telling my wife about 1 Oscar and a Corydora was all that was left. Felt bad but I can't be committed to care for a Oscar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store