Couple quick Schoutedeni videos

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Nothing super exciting, I just haven't posted much in here about my little guy "Meatball" (or girl, I'll likely never know.)

He's doing great, not bothering a soul in the 20 long (except the cherry shrimp, which I expected). So I think in general, based on my experience and reading a few others' experiences, cories and schooling fish are good places to start with tank mates. I also have Scarlet Badis in there with him.

This is an attractive, interactive FW puffer that doesn't need a huge tank for life, and typically can tolerate some (but not all) tankmates. I like the activity level which is not spazzy like a SAP but not a lump of a lurker either. Major downside is that they're expensive right now but I see this changing over time - now that they're more readily available I forsee CB specimens coming soon.

Eating a snail - he whiffs a couple of times because it's between the DW and the glass, and he likes to grab them at a certain angle.

Here he is eating live blackworms, which I think is pretty cute. ;)

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
Great videos! I completely agree with what you said about the species as a whole. It really is the most fun and interesting fish I have ever kept. I have had mine I think for a little less than 2 months now. I am a over the initial fear of, " holy cow, I just spent this much on a fish I really hope he doesnt die " and we have really developed a relationship now.

I am working on fattening mine up, I want to get him as big as possible so he doenst get lost in my 75 gallon when I finally get him in there. I feed him two cubes of frozen blood worms a day!

Here is the most recent picture I have taken of mine :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lobowind and magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Nice! I need to work on better pics of mine.

I need to figure out a way to make pond/ramshorn snail breeding work. Probably just need to get like 100 of them. That is his absolute favorite and he loves hunting them. (And is a master at finding them.)

Reactions: tlindsey

lobowind

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 11, 2017
New Mexico
Snails are the favorite here, too. It will be interesting to see if tank-raised schoutedeni will start appearing in the near future. This species is a good start for people wanting to try puffers, but the price tag is such a huge deterrent. If they breed in captivity fairly easily, the price would gradually go down.

Reactions: tlindsey and magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I will just update in here. Meatball is still his awesome, interactive, follow you around self. Love this fish! He eats out of my fingers. I have to crush MTS and assassin snails for him as their shell is too hard, but I have both in my big tank and they are free food.
(With the pond/ramshorn snails I drop them in different spots in the tank so he can hunt them.)

I also added golden white clouds to the 20 long with him and they are really pretty, and add activity to the tank. Big fan.

Yo. Lady. Pay attention to me. Some food would be good, too.
I will look cute for you, in trade for food.
Like.... now with the food.
Meatball1.jpg

Meatball2.jpg

Meatball3.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I will just update in here. Meatball is still his awesome, interactive, follow you around self. Love this fish! He eats out of my fingers. I have to crush MTS and assassin snails for him as their shell is too hard, but I have both in my big tank and they are free food.
(With the pond/ramshorn snails I drop them in different spots in the tank so he can hunt them.)

I also added golden white clouds to the 20 long with him and they are really pretty, and add activity to the tank. Big fan.

Yo. Lady. Pay attention to me. Some food would be good, too.
I will look cute for you, in trade for food.
Like.... now with the food.
View attachment 1261636

View attachment 1261637

View attachment 1261638

May have to get one in the future.☺

Reactions: xDestro and magpie

lobowind

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 11, 2017
New Mexico
Meatball looks awesome!

I have moved my trio from the 40 gallon into the 110 gallon. On the 3rd day after moving them, I noticed they were figuring out a pecking order again that they hadn't done since the first few days in the 40 gallon. I figure that they were establishing territories in the new surroundings. Then they went right back to eating together, being somewhat near each other in the plants when the lights go out, and acting fine among the other fish. I really enjoy this species.

Reactions: magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Happy to hear yours are getting along. I've heard they squabble but really there's not enough info on them out there.

I'd love to see photos of your 110 setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store