Crawfish ....

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Anyone have "crawfish" in their tanks? I seriously mean the type you eat, not the Paper Crayfish (brown, red or "electric blue") that the LFS' sell. I love them, though they don't often last that long (fortunately, I have a crawfish farm near me, so I can get a couple dozen for ~$10!) These suckers get BIG - up to 8"+ with pinchers as big as your thumb.

I'm planning on getting some soon (as soon as my new piece of driftwood is waterlogged enough to sink!) and I'll take some pics of them.

IMHO, the best tank cleaners you can get - they will eat anything (and everything).

Reactions: Kailash

Kailash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2015
Anyone have "crawfish" in their tanks? I seriously mean the type you eat, not the Paper Crayfish (brown, red or "electric blue") that the LFS' sell. I love them, though they don't often last that long (fortunately, I have a crawfish farm near me, so I can get a couple dozen for ~$10!) These suckers get BIG - up to 8"+ with pinchers as big as your thumb.

I'm planning on getting some soon (as soon as my new piece of driftwood is waterlogged enough to sink!) and I'll take some pics of them.

IMHO, the best tank cleaners you can get - they will eat anything (and everything).
Pics?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
To get them to last long (generally 5-7 years for most common species).
You must have sufficient calcium.
Feed a proper varied diet (I fed a mix of deli chicken,flakes and assorted vegetables.).
Keep good water quality always.
I also like to give them some dead leaves a couple times a year.
I have kept several wild caught crayfish over the years,my favorite was about 7 inches when I gave him away.

You also shouldn't keep very many or they end up eating each other when they moult.
Be sure to have somesort of substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store