Crayfish Breeding Tank

PartyHacks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2019
I have a 20 long and a 40 gallon at my disposal. I have other tanks for babies when they hatch.

I found some fireball crayfish shown here on amazon for 9.99 each. Believe they are clarkii.

The seller said I can choose whatever quantity of male / female and he will gladly pick and choose them for me.

My goal: Get babies! I have done research and bred a lot of fish before.

Option 1: 4 Female Crayfish, 1 Male Crayfish in 40 breeder
Option 2: 2 Female Crayfish, 1 Male Crayfish in 20 gallon long.
Plenty of hiding spots in each.

Any other fast moving fish I can breed in the tanks with them? I am aware a lot of fish hang at the bottom when the lights go out, so probably no chance there, but figured I would ask!

How do you guys think it would turn out?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As long as it isn’t slow with long fins (a goldfish, ask me how I know), crayfish can’t successfully catch crap unless it is dying. Multiple different crays of mine on multiple occasions have had cats in their claws and lost them. Guppies would be fine and easy to breed for a quick buck. Just watch that they aren’t eating the larval crayfish.
I like option 1 because more crayfish = more babies, plus more room for territories. Things may get cramped even with lots of hiding spots in the 20.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have my crayfish in a 40b. I'm unsure of the male to female ratio. But there are about 20 in there currently. I also have guppies in there. I had two male endlers that came in with the crayfish I tossed a couple female guppies in the tank and now I have about 100 guppies. So guppies will work with crayfish. I wasn't trying to breed the guppies in that tank I had gotten them to see if my fahaka would tolerate tank mates. He killed the two male guppies and two of the female guppies the first day. I should have just left the two females in with him but I pulled them. I moved the fahaka to a larger tank that I used a small net full of the guppies to seed and he hasn't killed a single one. SMH I now have guppies in two tanks and probably the sump of my pond too. I was breeding the crayfish to feed my puffer and about 6 months ago they stopped breeding. I had a ton to begin with off of the 8 I originally started with 2 males 6 females. Two larger crays died withing the last year not sure why. Also not sure if they were females or males I know there is one big male in there still and a 5 or 6 of the original ones. I'm terrible at telling them apart. Other then the super agressive large male. I'd definitely remove babies you want to keep to a different tank.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I have my crayfish in a 40b. I'm unsure of the male to female ratio. But there are about 20 in there currently. I also have guppies in there. I had two male endlers that came in with the crayfish I tossed a couple female guppies in the tank and now I have about 100 guppies. So guppies will work with crayfish. I wasn't trying to breed the guppies in that tank I had gotten them to see if my fahaka would tolerate tank mates. He killed the two male guppies and two of the female guppies the first day. I should have just left the two females in with him but I pulled them. I moved the fahaka to a larger tank that I used a small net full of the guppies to seed and he hasn't killed a single one. SMH I now have guppies in two tanks and probably the sump of my pond too. I was breeding the crayfish to feed my puffer and about 6 months ago they stopped breeding. I had a ton to begin with off of the 8 I originally started with 2 males 6 females. Two larger crays died withing the last year not sure why. Also not sure if they were females or males I know there is one big male in there still and a 5 or 6 of the original ones. I'm terrible at telling them apart. Other then the super agressive large male. I'd definitely remove babies you want to keep to a different tank.
Sounds like someone needs a marble cray :naughty:

N13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2021
You can try putting top dwellers like golden wonder killifish, both the golden wonder and the crayfish will eat other fish if they get the chance, however the crayfish will kill anything if it gets the chance while the golden wonder will only kills small inverts / fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store