Crazy Crayfish

gman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2005
new jersey
www.facebook.com
About 10 years ago I was at a friends house and we decided to go and catch some crayfish. So we got our nets and caught about 10. So I decided to take 5 of them home and put them in my 5 gal with my swordtails and guppys (at age 9 this seemed to be a great idea). So I put them in the tank and they sink to the bottom and start doing crayfish things. The next morning I wake up and there is only 1 in the tank. I look around and one is crawling on my bedroom floor. I put him back. I find one one the stairs. Put him back. Go into the kitchen and and there is 1 that are crawling out of a air vent and put it back. So i continue to look, but cant find the 5th one. So I take the remaining crayfish to my local creek and dump them. The 5th one finally shows up 2 years later, all shriveled up and tangled in the wires behind the tv/vcr. Boy were my parents happy about that :naughty:

Recycling Works

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
Steve Irwins Shadow
yea ive had that too, had a new girlfriend using my bathroom and all of a sudden a craffish went clicking across the bathroom floor at her, pretty sure she peed on my ceiling. you just have to really seal the tank up, and dont give a crap bout your fish or plants, they will attack and eat anything they can get

DUde, have you ever seen them molt, where they shed there old shell to reveal the new one. its totaly nuts, they leave an exact replica of themselves, its like they are giving birth or something. the first time i saw it i just sat and was in awe...doesnt happen to me very darn often

also saw one attack and eat antother one, took like 2o minutes and was disgusting how he just was ripping chunks off his live tank mate and eating them, crazy crayfish is right brother. they frickin nuts

prawnman88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
arizona
i have 3 inch macro rosenbergi's iv'e watch them moult it sure is kool love them little guys

Miz

Giant PINK Gourami LOVA
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2005
Mississippi
shines new light on what i used to call "dinner" lol ;)

elykyelsna

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA USA
ive got 3 crayfish in a 10 gal. it's pretty cool to watch them grow and molt. start with the smallest you can get, they tend to molt a lot more often when they're young and growing, although i've had a few escape, the ones who've made an attempt, that ive found crawling across the floor that is, havent made a second attempt

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
Ok now I know I'm not crazy, although my story involve a crap...I think but it was like when I was 8 years old. I kept him in a jar that was sealed shut and went to play outside. When I came back he was gone, it was impossible for him to get out.....or was it.

My family thinks I'm crazy to remember this story for all these years but after reading about the stories you guys have with crayfish, I do believe they are uncanny escape artist for sure.

I will be getting some crayfish this spring too so hopefully they won't escape on me....... :swear:

Recycling Works

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
Steve Irwins Shadow
Hey gamefishin, heres a theory, when my kids catch something i think is dangerous, or just i just dont like, i let it go when they are not lookin, and tell them it escaped, possible the folks pulled one over on ya and just dont even remember doin it, an eight year old and a crayfish are a bad combo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store