Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
daz;633262; said:
Hey guys,
Came across this name on another site and thought i'd run it by you all
WTF is it? Any info greatfully received:cry:
All i know is that it comes from Rio Xingu and is the best looking pike i ever saw
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/rosemariae.html
It is a gorgeous fish, one of the large lugubris group pikes. I had a chance to get some about 2 years ago and passed because they were 8" and mud brown. At the time there were no other pics online so rather than spend the $100 I passed. What an idiot! In any case, they seem to come in from time to time but are not a regualr import. I suspect now that this picture has been posted they will be in high demand and will start to filter into the hobby a little more frequently.

Here are pics of a male and female respectively:

Quite the looker, eh?

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
thats basically about the only info and way your really gonna see them unless you win the lotto, fish wise or go on trip and luck up on some.

daz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
uk
Just found out these have been put into the Joanna group by Alex Ploeg

Celtic Samurai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
USA
Here is the full text from the link, it's obvious :irked: that Vinny Kutty doees not agree with Mr Ploeg's placement. For what it's worth, many experienced pike keepers agree with Vinny.

Crenicichla rosemariae, Kullander, 1997

Group: Lugubris

Distribution: Upper Xingu, Brazil. Known (until this fish was caught) only from the type locality, a headwater stream of Rio Suia-Missu.

Size: 12 inches

Originally published in: Ichthyological Explorations of Freshwaters 7 (3/4); p 279-288

Comments: Collected in Rio Comandante Fontoura by Matias using hook and line. This fish has not been exported to North America yet. Although I suspect it had made its way to Japan under the name C. sp. Suia Missu. The fish above is a male - females do not sport the red spots. It is unique among the lugubris group in displaying sexual dichromatism. Females are olive with vague traces of vertical bars, orange iris, deep orange cheek and salmon orange chest. Overall, a very colorful and unique fish. Alex Ploeg (1991) examined the type series and lumped them with C. johanna. Huh? Not sure how that's possible!

Type specimens were caught in a pool with very clear water. Cichlasoma araguiaense and Mesonauta acora are two species found in similar lentic habitats. However, these two other cichlids are also found in Rio Tocantins. Could it be that C. rosemariae is as well? May be.

A photo taken by Harald Schulz in the 1960s is published in Atlas des cichlides. 1993. No4/93. Rev. Fr. Cichlidophiles, 131 (suppl.): 1 - 16. I have not seen this image - if any of you out there have a copy, I'd love to see it. Thanks.

Local Name: Rubanana

Type locality: Corrego do Gato, Rio Xingu drainage, Para, Brazil

Back to ==> Home / Pike Photos / C. rosemariae

Back to Species list
Back to Photo Index

Home Pikes Neotropicals Collecting Photography Personal Links Site map

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491
Latest update: 25 August 2006
Comments on this page: email me at kutty at earthlink dot net

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
Celtic Samurai :screwy: :nutkick:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com