Crenicichla Sp Cobra

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Anyone keep these guys? I'm getting some form Rapps this week and i really can't find much info on them. Are they as aggressive as a Xingu species?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Envious of you I am....these are GREAT pikes! They were just a little too pricey for me. Congrats on gettin them! Unfortunately, this in NOT a pike species I have kept, which really breaks my heart cuz they are up there on my wish list, if only they were a bit cheaper. They are a fairly rare pike species, adults look awesome! Specially the females...great colors! I personally like the look of the juv. and subadults...crazy kewl. I'm gonna guess that they are a lot like xingus since they have more of that apperance in body shape. Expect them to get gradually more aggressive and territorial as they get older....to what extent the get aggressiveness is gonna get is a toughy...since pikes don't really fall a typical pattern. Seem to like to defy it on a regular basis. It shall be a learnin experience for yaz. Member that they have large mouths and a huge stomach...lol...and that they aren't afraid of pickin fights. Best of luck...love to see pictures! :D

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
hey peanut i knew you'd respond to my post man. Yeah i was only able to get 2 because someone bought the 3rd one that Rapps had. I'm starting them out in a 90 gallon tank with lots of hiding places. I don't know why i think this but i feel like i'm going to get a pair, we'll see i quess lol. Any tankmate recommendations? I'll probably just leave them in the tank alone unless i can think of something to add. They are pretty expensive but i figured they are probably going to be my only pikes so i wanted something really cool and kind of rare. I originally had planned on gettng the xingu 111 but George sold them to steve right after he told me he still had them.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
"They are pretty expensive but i figured they are probably going to be my only pikes so i wanted something really cool and kind of rare. "

Only pikes ur gonna own! LOL! RIIIIIIIIIIGHT!! Ur gonna get hooked bro and the fever is gonna run thru your blood.

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
well i got them in the tank and they are really cool lookin fish. I'll try to get some pics posted but right now they are hiding so i guess i'll have to wait. I'm trying to figure out a dither fish that will keep these guys busy. What do you think of 3 silver dollars?

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
since they are so small you could go with pretty much anything...silver dollars will last long term. if you don't really care if they eat it or not go with some Black Skirts and Serpae tetras. Pretty and they add motion makin them comfy. From my experiences though, pikes don't need dithers...lol...they are pretty bold fishies! once they learn where the food comes from they will always be out lookin for it...specially when you are around.... :D VERY ACTIVE FISHIES!! If they are always hiding sumptin is wrong.

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
they aren't hiding anymore! These little guys are spunky. I fed them brine shrimp tonight and they ate like pigs. i absolutely love these little ones. got some pretty bold colors going on even at this size.

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Sweetness my man!! See! Told cha...pikes don't need dithers!! LOL!! If you want them to grow faster try feedin them mysis...and then get them onto cocktail shrimp asap. They will grab ur heart and make yaz crave more! Trust me! Ur hooked now bro!

Peanut_Power

MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
Cocktail shrimp...ummm...go to a Super Market and in the freezer section there should be cocktail shrimp or salad shrimp in a bag. Be sure you remove the shell if there is one. U can also get it fresh at the deli. Am i makin sense?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store