Cryptoheros panamensis pairing up

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
They are in a tank with larger fish including an 8 inch Vieja melanura, 7 inch Green Terror, and a bunch of 3 to 5 inch African peacocks and Thorichthys elioti. The pair is dominant over similar sized peacocks and elioti, will stand their ground against a Green Terror twice their size, and will only back off from the Vieja that rules the tank. They are aggressive counter puncher towards other fish, but can be actively aggressive conspecies. When they were younger and before pairing up, the two butt head at each other constantly, and chased aggressively away their smaller siblings. They have only paired up recently, but no breeding yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHUsrVds6R4

[video=youtube;MHUsrVds6R4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MHUsrVds6R4[/video]

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Nice looking pair. I didn't know they are super slow growers. I have a couple 1" fry in my 125 and they still seem to fight a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Nice looking pair. I didn't know they are super slow growers. I have a couple 1" fry in my 125 and they still seem to fight a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
They are slow grower because their ultimate size is small. They are rather nasty conspecies. Once they hit 1 inch size, they butt head constantly if they are equal in size, and chased away smaller siblings aggressively. But once they paired up, they formed the strongest bond I've seen. It's fun to watch them as they always hang out together, and jointly defend their territory aggressively.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
lmk if you get fry...i'm in SE PA and will be willing to buy a few.
Even if I get fry, I am not going to raise many of them. Panamensis is not a popular fish to sell as few people know what they are. I've never seen it sold in LFSs and rarely do mail order places stock them. I picked them up in an auction for a dollar as no body want unknown, drab color juveniles.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Even if I get fry, I am not going to raise many of them. Panamensis is not a popular fish to sell as few people know what they are. I've never seen it sold in LFSs and rarely do mail order places stock them. I picked them up in an auction for a dollar as no body want unknown, drab color juveniles.
oh how times have changed...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store