Crystal Red Shrimp in hot climate

imifumei

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2020
Does anyone know of any cases of people trying to keep Crystal Red Shrimp in hot climates?

I've know it's possible to keep and breed CRS in hot weather, at least on a short term basis, but long term? I'm considering breeding a large colony of shrimp, and then selecting for warm temperature tolerance. However, I want to gather as much specifics to gauge the feasibility and if it'll be worth it to me.

AdrianV205

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2020
Ik that prl will breed faster and more in warmer temps. But the down fall is they will have a shorter life span

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Does anyone know of any cases of people trying to keep Crystal Red Shrimp in hot climates?

I've know it's possible to keep and breed CRS in hot weather, at least on a short term basis, but long term? I'm considering breeding a large colony of shrimp, and then selecting for warm temperature tolerance. However, I want to gather as much specifics to gauge the feasibility and if it'll be worth it to me.
Buy a chiller?

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
I lost most of mine when the water in the tank hit 30oC+

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Here in South Africa people have used fans to cool tanks, but they are more successful in large tanks in cool rooms where the temperature stays lower and the large volume of water reduces the impact of the external environment

Reactions: tlindsey

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I used to keep CRS in a tropical climate that regularly hit past 30’C and the only way to make it work long term was buying a chiller... fans didnt cool the tank enough as they prefer temps of 18’C - 25’C

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store