Cure for Oscar aggression...Red LED Light????

incredibleMrLimpet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2019
Loosejaws, to be more precise.
my convicts halt as well when i press red button..... its the equivalent to someone unexpectedly flippin light swith off us.... tho we can see they are made to believe their in complete darkness.... read somewhere that blue (dark) is not good for our fish or us. yellow , orange, and violet purple never seem to startled my juvenile cons or hrp×con juvies either

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
ya. best lighting for your Oscar is no lighting. he can see you, no mirror effect, and you can see him. I pulled lighting after getting over it looks cool thing.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
just expand a bit, lighting in an aquarium creates a mirror effect for the fish, studies been done that this creates a wall per say and makes it smaller, while with out lighting except ambient light they perceive as more territory or room and interact with the house hold better and more relaxed.

incredibleMrLimpet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2019
Loosejaws, to be more precise.
my convicts halt as well when i press red button..... its the equivalent to someone unexpectedly flippin light swith off us.... tho we can see they are made to believe their in complete darkness.... read somewhere that blue (dark) is not good for our fish or us. yellow , orange, and violet purple never seem to startled my juvenile cons or hrp×con juvies

incredibleMrLimpet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2019
I'm not going to debate the point. We have to agree to disagree here. And since I see the fish on a daily basis I can tell you again they each have their own area to get away. The missing scale incidents were three weeks apart and only happened once for each fish One singular scale, that's it. And one flew off a fish that had nothing to do with fighting, I saw it when the fish was swimming. They can go hours on end without dealing with each other. As I just posted, other fish will be added to give them focus on something besides each other. I originally had three parrots and the oscar in the 225 but due to aggression and fighting the others are in separate tanks. I have tried multiple combinations for months to find a satisfactory result. The current setup is the most peaceful due to personality. It isn't perfect but workable.

Three parrots (Boss, Patch, Kong)
Oscar (Brick)

Here are the combinations and results. I posted this elsewhere.

All of the fish were fine for ten days (december) until the pecking order happened. Brick was tiny (2") not a factor. All the parrots are large. The largest and most dominant male Kong tried to take over. Eventually won out over Boss and terrorized him. Kong then went after the female parrot (same size), Patch and tried to dominate her. She shredded his lips and busted his snout overnight with her teeth. Then she bruised up the other male parrot Boss because he wasn't dominant enough. So she went into a separate tank. She laid eggs in the 225 and ruled the whole tank with hyper aggression. Both males were backed in the corner. Brick got banged around like a pinball and developed ich soon after.

The parrots are jumbo sized and they tend to get more aggressive when older I hear.

So she's in her own tank permanently. I recently tried to return Kong (biggest male) to the 225 to see if the aggression would be 'spread out' as people often say. Brick had grown larger by this time, about 5 inches. Disaster. Kong went to rule the tank like he never left. Swam the tank twice, chased Boss out of his pot then proceeded to slam Brick into the glass despite Brick trying to fight back. Seconds later he knocked Brick above the water line. So I grabbed him quick and tossed him back into his tank where he will also be permanently. This was truly an incident that could have gotten fish killed.

As I look across at the fishroom I see the two swimming together fine. For whatever reason they go into stupid mode when I'm around the tank. I've yet to figure out why.

I always look for solutions regardless. They don't always work but the effort is there.
maybe (like pitbulls) the equate yur presence with food & get to squabbing for best position in tank to consume most food

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Well the latest upshot is that none of the fish react to the red light at all! So as I said, the whole theory is a bust...

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
I had a big tank with two Oscars and red light and they were totally fine. I think your fish just doesn't like it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store