Cycled Tank has No Nitrates . Please Help

Astylin

Feeder Fish
Feb 27, 2017
Hi, I've had my tank going for 10 years now. Recently added driftwood & rocks.. Which I boiled for days. I was trying to do water changes to get rid of Tannins. I've messed up my cycle. My ph is back to normal but my Nitrates are pretty much 0 ... what do I do?

Ph 7.2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
nitrates .2 ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, I've had my tank going for 10 years now. Recently added driftwood & rocks.. Which I boiled for days. I was trying to do water changes to get rid of Tannins. I've messed up my cycle. My ph is back to normal but my Nitrates are pretty much 0 ... what do I do?

Ph 7.2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
nitrates .2 ?

Shake the Nitrates test bottles for about 2 minutes and retest if no level of Nitrates showing check expiration date on bottles. You must have a reading of Nitrates for the nitrogen cycle to be complete.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If you are using a liquid test kit, and it has been sitting for a long time (weeks or months), it has to be tapped (on a counter) a few times and then shaken for 3 minutes. Otherwise, you can get a false reading.

Also check the expiration date as an expired test can also cause a false reading.

Generally speaking, it is highly unlikely to actually have zero nitrates in a cycled tank unless:

1) you have a heavily planted tank with just a few small fish

2) you did a 100% water change with 0 nitrate water about 10 minutes before you tested

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store