Dat eating ?

tonymofo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 23, 2007
Detroit
www.youtube.com
Been lurking around when I read something about someone’s dat eat another tank mates eyeballs. It also brought back an old memory about 15-16 years ago when I was in my 20’s at my mom house and I had a 180 gallon in her living room. I had 2-3 dats that we’re about 8-10 inches that I had owned for about 5-6 years. I had them and a 20” silver arowana trained to eat smelts from my hand. I was on the couch watching a movie falling asleep when I heard the dat eat something. I got up curious to see that 1 of my arowana eye missing and it’s just swimming around like nothing happened. I kept all the fish fed on smelt and krill so it was weird to me to see this.... I called my dad over to look and he was in shock too..... I sat down watching whatever I was watching on tv and randomly looking at the tank when I seen the dat eat the other dats eyeball. I was in total shock that this dat was doing this and scooped him out and put that eye eating dat in the sump. I put the eye eating dat back in tank after a couple of days and didn’t have that problem again.... the 1 eyed dat and aro lived a long time after that and never skipped a beat on feedings!

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
K krichardson

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
K krichardson
Indonesian Eyebiter!...but seriously I had a really aggressive thinbar years ago that would peck the heck out of other fish whenever it made up it's mind to,causing lesions and wounds.....never had an eye eating dat though.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I’ve had tons of dats and never seen any eating eyeballs..... I’ve even kept tiny dats with big ones and they never ate them either.

tonymofo

Piranha
MFK Member
May 23, 2007
Detroit
www.youtube.com
Wow.... I even went back on ALL my previous post/threads and I couldn’t even find a picture of the tank I had in my moms living room years ago..... I’m pretty sure I ended up selling those dats to someone on MFK......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store